Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mallikarjun Reddy Pateel
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
Property Taxes input?

Mallikarjun Reddy Pateel
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Posted

Hello Chicagoans,

we are looking at a couple of Multifamily properties around Chicago, wanted to clarify a few things about property taxes and Valuation.

1. I see cook county calculates property taxes on a 3-year basis(northern, southern, Chicago areas), will the sale triggers new assessments increasing the property value to the sale price, therefore, an increase in property tax?

2. this is what I found on the cook county website :

"Residential properties are assessed as of January 1st of the current year, using three to five years of prior sales information. By using multiple sale years, this increases the stability of market value estimates.

The Cook County Assessor's Office uses mass appraisal to produce property values. Instead of appraising property one-by-one, mass appraisal looks to the real estate market to detect local trends in property values based on location and characteristics. Those trends are used to estimate the fair market value of each property based on its location and characteristics. Mass appraisal is a way to put fairness into the assessment system"

the above statement sounds a little contradictory to me, will they look at the property by property sale information to estimate the Market value or Mass appraisal or both?

3. I read an article that the cook county assessor's office shifting the tax burden from homeowners to commercial property owners being a significant property value Increase in the commercial sector. if apartments fall into the residential category does this have any Impact on Multifamily owners?

User Stats

Votes
H. Jack Miller
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied

We have a of mortgages in this market and all I know is the real estate taxes are increasing at a very rapid rate, much faster then inflation and the ability to raise rents. 

User Stats

Votes
Mallikarjun Reddy Pateel
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Replied

not sure if you noticed, but did the sponsors underwrite their prop taxes based on purchase price or current taxes?

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied

@Mallikarjun Reddy Pateel the answer is, yes a sales price can trigger an increase. Depending on where you are at in the 3 year cycle, it might be a bit of time though. For instance, if you are in year one then you won't see an increase for almost two years. The formula's are complicated, but what I do is I run two scenarios based on the cookcountypropertyinfo.com website.  In one scenario, I look at the current taxes and make sure I am happy with the cash flow and the deal. Then I run a second scenario where I look at a worst case. For instance, if I buy for 500k and the property is assessed at 300k then I multiply this out as though the property is re assessed at 500k (40% higher). If the deal still works, it is a go. If it does not work, it is not a go! 

There is more to it than that of course, but that is the high level. On 7 units or more, there are some new tax incentives if you are doing rehabs and if you are renting to "affordable" housing tenants which can be market or subsidized. 6 units and under, you can check for home owner's exemptions, senior exemptions, senior freezes, etc. 

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mallikarjun Reddy Pateel
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Replied

@John Warren 

Thank you, that's exactly how I underwrite my deals matching the assessed market value to the purchase price in a worst-case scenario. 

any thoughts on tax rate or equalization factor Increases in coming years?

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied

@Mallikarjun Reddy Pateel surprisingly, most of the tax rates have been dropping the last few years as assessed values climb. This is one of the trickiest factors in figuring out a future tax liability since you can't accurately predict the tax rate. The assessed value, in my experience, will eventually catch up with the sales price although it takes a few years. The taxes will rise, but then over time you can get some significant reductions along the way too. 

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Contractors
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Contractors
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied

@Mallikarjun Reddy Pateel - Great post and tons of really good questions.  I am by no means a Chicago tax wizard-like @John Warren.

I didn't realize you could apply for homeowners, and senior exemptions on 6 units and under that's really good to know.

I think the best way to underwrite future taxes is to look at the past increases and see if you can interpolate what those would be for the future. 

I have no idea if this is logical, but maybe taxes will come down a little bit with interest rates rising......I feel like uncle sam has to give us a break somewhere at some point.