• Investor
Votes |
Seller finance on a mortgage loan for a Multifamily Deal in Texas

Katherine Menchaca
Pro Member
  • Investor
Posted Oct 28 2022, 13:02

Hello BP family,

Here in Texas we have come across yet another magnificent property. We have built a relationship with a seller of a multifamily property with 7-9 bedrooms, in an area that is underway for vast development within the next 2 years. The newly built 4-bed 1600sq ft houses across the street will be selling for $350K once they're complete. It’s also near a university. Other multifamily properties in the city are 10-20 years older and require some additional work, are for sale for 50K more with only 4-6 bed rooms.

The owner owes 164K for a mortgage loan balance and put another 67K into updates/renovations/new appliances recently. Now he's $231K in debt. He's selling for $412K, which is great for a renovated updated property that'll be worth at LEAST half a million in a couple years.

However... The property won't cashflow at that price point, the numbers don't work with today's interest rate. Despite having an 800 credit score, virtually no debt and a couple cash flowing assets... that means absolutely Nothing and of course doesn't help with today's interest rates.

I'm working to possibly structure the deal with a mortgage loan and seller finance. I’d use our heloc for down payment. The seller has turned down multiple offers from other investors offering less. I'm certain he won't go down on price more than 12K. He has a lot of debts he's obligated to.

I'll be the only one to offer nearly full price. this needs to be creative, however I'm uncertain of whether the title company will draft this up or if I need an attorney and the unforeseen risk of further inflation has me concerned on interest rates and taxes. I'm not sure my realtor knows quite how to structure this since it's uncommon. Since this is a turn key property there is extremely low cash flow. However when the market picks back up in 3-4 years, interest rates drop, and rent goes up, it'll cashflow very well along with tremendous equity build.

With my proposal, the seller would hold 2nd lien on the property and receive payments on a 5 yr balloon. Since the Mortgage company will pay off and take over the title, they have 1st lien. My realtor didn't like the idea and stated the seller would have no real protection or ties to the property at that point once the bank absorbs the loan at 200K. She stated it would basically be selling the house at $200K and the seller would have no real gain or incentive for the method/deal I'm proposing.

I disagree, considering he's refused all other offers made by investors for the past few months which have been requesting 12%-15% off asking price.

I know for almost certain the seller would be content with $225K to take care of his debts and wouldn't mind seller financing the rest. However... those numbers still don’t work or cash flow. He's likely waiting it out for an all cash buyer or full purchase price buyer....likely not going to happen.

This is a great Buy and Hold -long term rental.

It's a far stretch but if his priority is on the total sale price then I'll offer him just a little under.

If by some magical miracle a 30 yr bank loan with an interest rate of 3% with 20% down were available, then we would certainly take that any day and at least break even on the monthly profits and expenses at a $400K purchase for this particular property. I would consider it a terrific buy and hold deal. But that rate-ship sailed a year ago and Private money lenders are like leprechauns, they are very quite, hidden, and you try to follow the end of the rainbow but can never quite find the exact spot they’re in among the trees! 

The potential offer: $400K Purchase Price

- $200,000 Bank finance Loan (to pay seller half of 400K)

- 45K down/30 yr mortgage (bank loan & Closing costs) (using Heloc for down payment)

- 8% predicted/anticipated rate for investment loan D:

- $ 3,220 Total monthly payment Expenses ( Mortgage + Heloc pymt + Unforeseen Capital Expenditures-$500 )

- $3,400 Estimated revenue from units (conservatively)

- $150-$250 Estimated cashflow (Estimated cashflow in 5 years after Refi: $1,100)

Seller finance terms:

- $200,000 seller financed

-2nd lien holder on property

- $333 principal monthly payments only or $4,000 annual lump sum to Seller each yr for 5 years.

- 2 % interest rate for 5 years to be paid at the back of the loan

- Cashout Refi in 5 years to pay off Seller balance and our Heloc and obtain a better rate

Q: How could I structure this with interest paid at the back of the loan?

Q: Realtor question: Since the bank takes over the loan and title at $200K, does that result in the 6% realtor/brokerage fee dropping from $24K down to $12K?

Q: Which type of events besides REI meetings do passive private money lenders/investors commonly attend?

Looking at these numbers again... it hurts the investor soul to see such little cash flow and risk possibly cutting into CapX funds. It may be too risky considering there are more apartment complexes and new homes being built to compete with all around the area.  Thoughts?

Loading replies...