• Miami, FL
Votes |
Single Family Home turned into Unpermitted Triplex

Kevin Nerio
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Posted Nov 11 2022, 13:52

Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of purchasing a home. My sellers are going to pay off a hefty lien charge to the City due to doing unpermitted work on the house. It was a single-family home but they turned it into a 2bd/1br and 2 separate 1bd/1br studios so it really is a 4/3 (triplex). There are already tenants in the studios but odds are that the studios are not up to code. The sellers are giving me a 15K credit to get the house permitted correctly. Once they pay off the lien and I purchase the property, is the city going to make me get the house permitted or make me turn it back into a single-family home? Will the city give me a citation for the unpermitted work that the sellers did? What would be my best course of action before closing to be sure that purchasing this property won't end up being a mistake. After I receive all my credits, I will be getting the property for 55K under the appraised value. I'm a veteran using my VA loan for the first time. The property is located in west-miami shores unincorporated Miami-Dade and east of 95. I think it's a good deal but please let me know if you think otherwise.

Any advice on my next steps would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! 

Best Regards,

Kevin Nerio

Loading replies...