Zachary Freeman
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Votes |
Complications converting 4 unit into 6 unit Inglewood, CA

Zachary Freeman
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Posted Apr 5 2023, 10:58

Hi,

I own a multifamily property in Inglewood, CA. It was originally built as a 6 unit ( 6x 2br) in the 1960s. In the late 80's the owner converted it into 4 units (2x2br 2x5br) in order to get a conventional loan refi. I want to convert it back to 6 units. 

Issues:

1. Parking. The city in years prior stated that I could not due to parking requirement changes. Their laws state I need 2 park spots per unit. There is no way to add parking. I have familiarized myself with AB2097 which reduces parking requirements for development projects. Is a conversion/rehab considered a development project and falls under AB2097?

2. Density. The City is stating that density requirements limit the unit count to 1 per 1400ft of the lot. This would make the max unit count 4 units. 

Solutions:

I can perhaps argue the parking requirements don't apply but I don't know how to get around the density requirement. 

Perhaps I can convert half of each 5-br unit into a storage room (non-liveable space) and then convert that space into an ADU. But ADU count is limited to 25% of the as-built unit count which would mean I could only add 1 ADU, not 2.

Any thoughts on this and how I can reach a solution? 

Loading replies...