How much rent to charge 3rd-party student housing service

How much rent to charge 3rd-party student housing service

Investor · Kenilworth, OH · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 1 vote

I'm looking for feedback about renting to a third-party student housing provider. Specifically, I'm interested in how much they might pay vs the market rate. Has anyone worked with a company like this?

I have a 6-bedroom house very close to a training program for which this company arranges housing. It works like this:

-The company signs a long-term lease, usually for apartments

- They place students at 1 or 2 per bedroom

- They include all utilities and furniture

- They allow students to rent for the length of their training program (varies) vs having to sign a lease with a standard term

My house is considered a "premium" offering. For this tier, they're taking in just over $2k per bedroom. 

Right now, they're renting 2-bedroom apartments in new construction complexes with pools, gyms, etc. Those are a 10-min drive to the school, whereas mine is 2 mins.

My property has a private inground pool, huge yard, deck, trees, stream. It's very private but also close to a shopping center with restaurants, barber shop, etc. The bedrooms are very large compared to those apartments.


The math:

The rent on those apartments is about $2500, plus utilities and furniture rental. The total might be $3300.

They're charging the students around $4200.

So they're making around $900/mo, or $450 per bedroom..

My house:

I have 6 bedrooms, so the company could potentially take in $12,500 per month from the students.

Let's say I provide furniture and utilities, 

If they want to make $450 profit per bedroom, at 6 bedrooms, that's $2,700 ($450x6). 

That would mean I could ask for $9,700/mo.

That's about twice the rate for college rentals in this area. 

I could sweeten the deal, give them more incentive to depart from those apartment complexes, and ask for $9k.

I don't want to sell my house short, but I don't want to scare them away either. 

That's why I'm here asking if anyone has experience with this type of company. 

There are plenty of college rentals in the town, but I have limited competition because this property is unique, like a mini retreat, and it's very close to the training facility. Plus, it's already set up as a short-term rental.

.The company sent a guy out to see it and he loved it, but we haven't talked money yet. 

I know I probably answered my own question, so maybe this is a reality check.

TIA

P.S. Yes, I know students are rough on houses. An extra $4,500/mo can pay for a lot of repairs!

0Reply
50 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.