Converting from single furnace to four - chimney question

4 Replies

All,

I'm looking at a four unit building that has a single furnace with four zones. The chimney is presently power vented through the wall as there is no chimney.

If I add three more furnaces and power vent them like the existing one, I would gas out the first floor apartment.

My question is what kind of venting solution is available short of building a four flue masonry chimney?

There seems to be reference to a setup that will allow multiple furnaces to vent into some kind of specially engineered pre-fab chimney, but it's a bit confusing trying to figure out what's legal, safe and available.

Anyone solved a problem like this? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks,

Craig

The easiest on this would be to power vent each individually.  Many state/town building codes won't allow multiple appliances using one power vent.  

@Craig Shrimpton 

By power venting I would assume they are Hi Efficency units??

If so (by code) each unit would need separate venting to the outside so I don't understand the 'chimney' reference as these should all be PVC exhaust/supply. Unless you are going with chimney hookups that would probably cost more for the chimney/liner etc.

Furthermore, If the furnaces all 'reside' in the same mechanical room you would be advised to include intake combustion venting to avoid O2 depletion.

@Craig Shrimpton  what was the btu of the old furnace and what is the btu of the 4 furnaces? You want to include air intake and they should all be vented separately . You will have to look at specs for distance between all the vents. 

Nice to read everyone's input.  I am purchasing a 4 family that has....get ready for it....4 furnaces (natural gas) and 4 water heaters (also natural gas) piped to one unlined flue!  I don't want to replace them as they are functional but need to find a better solution.  I have a second chimney that is not being used and may have to reline it and use it.  Anyother suggestions would be greatly apreciated it

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here