Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Jeff L.
  • Investor
  • Louisville, CO
Votes |
Breaking Into Commercial Investing (Multi-Family)

Jeff L.
  • Investor
  • Louisville, CO
Posted Apr 10 2015, 15:03

Hey BP -

I'm looking for advice/recommendations for a plan to break into commercial real estate investing. I am currently 25 and my end goal is to own/manage a 10-20 man multifamily acquisitions, management, and development shop in the Denver / Boulder Colorado metro area. My big question is, how do I get started and what is the best path?

I currently work in management consulting (Strategy and Operations) for a big 4 firm and travel Mon-Thurs to my clients. If I stay in my current role, next year I will be expected to get my MBA (two years) and come back to the firm for another two years. I am at a crossroads and have three fundamental options:

1. 1) Should I pursue an analyst / associate position at an already established commercial investment company to learn the ropes and gain experience? These positions seem to pay much less than consulting,  but could be well worth the learning experience for a few years.
  2. 2) Would a higher level of education (MBA, Masters in Real Estate, or Masters in Real Estate Development) help me achieve my end goal? I am in a strong position to go back to school, but not sure if the investment of time/money will help me in my entrepreneurial endeavors.
  3. 3) Should I drop everything, dive in head first, and attempt to start syndicating deals? I have a decent cushion of savings, that could buy me time to get the ball rolling. Immediate next steps would be locating potential deals, putting a full analysis and business plan together, searching for and pitching JV/capital partners, closing deals and building relationships.

I would really appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you in advance for your help!

My very best,

Jeff

Loading replies...