Looking for positive stories about property managers...

32 Replies

Wow, it's definitely encouraging to hear these positive stories!

My husband and I are moving out of state and renting out our condo (San Jose, CA). We are researching property management companies. Does anyone have specific recommendations?

Thanks!
Nancy

@Nancy Z. ,

I highly recommend Louis Melo with Atlantis Property. Here's second to none in my opinion when it comes to property management. @J. Martin can attest to this. Google is your friend as BP moderators don't like people to post contact info on here. 

Best of luck. 

Originally posted by @Minh Le :

@Nancy Z. ,

I highly recommend Louis Melo with Atlantis Property. Here's second to none in my opinion when it comes to property management. @J. Martin can attest to this. Google is your friend as BP moderators don't like people to post contact info on here. 

Best of luck. 

Louis has been super efficient and on the ball as a property manager. As both an owner and a tenant in the real estate game, I'm with Minh on this one ;) (and on most things lol ;)

Nancy, do you mind sharing where you are moving, or more importantly, why..?

@Mindy Jensen While I don't have a property manager I do have a maintenance manager. I travel often and always know that he has everything under control. He is an older gentleman in retirement but still able to take care of snow blowing, shoveling, salting, vacuuming, mowing, and taking care of smaller fixes around the property. We have a sub contractor network in place. The deal is that if something breaks he will evaluate the issue and determine if he can fix it or if he thinks he needs one of our subcontractors. He will always call me first to see if I want to come deal with it or if I just want a subcontractor to deal with it. . If I don't answer and its an emergency call he will leave me a voicemail and proceed with calling the subcontractor. In the case of a non emergency he will wait to hear my response on what I will want to do.

He owned properties in the past, was in construction, and overall a decently handy but honest hard working guy. He lives in the property and gets half off of his rent to take care of the 16 unit building. It comes out to about $300 a month for his work. Well worth the money in my opinion.

My next step is to hire a leasing agent to work using my systems. Essentially it will be like hiring a customer facing assistant. They will have a base pay and bonuses based on quarterly financial performance of the property. Once I get into this I plan do a pretty detailed write up on my systems and let the BP community know how my results go. Potentially going to be implementing this step in the next 6 months.

Thanks, @Joel Florek . I look forward to reading the update.

How did you find your current maintenance manager? And how do you currently lease your units?

Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen :

Thanks, @Joel Florek. I look forward to reading the update.

How did you find your current maintenance manager? And how do you currently lease your units?

I was fortunate that I adopted the maintenance manager with the acquisition of my 16 unit building. But in the future I plan to seek out these managers through craigslist, newspaper(since some of the older folks don't use computers), and networking through the local hardware stores who typically deal with contractors.

On the leasing side I take care of it. I use grasshopper for my mainline and have a line #2 for inquiries on vacancies this way I always know if its an inquiry call. Right now those calls are routed to me but its as easy as a 2min change online to route the calls to someone else. I may have a 24/7 call center take this over soon and give them standard questions to ask as a preliminary screen. I would just get a log/report from each call screened. I also have a website with a contact form for interested prospects. I use Podio for my database and keep track of all prospects through there. I use mysmartmove by transunion for background and credit checks and its as easy as dropping their email address into mysmartmove and clicking submit. The applicants pay online for the service. That being said I spend maybe 3 hours total trying to fill each vacancy since I only do showings after an initial phone interview to get a feel for if they are the right tenant.

In the future I will automate emails and lease generation through Podio but want to wait for another 10+units before I start paying for those features. For now I am just on the free version.

Originally posted by @J. Martin :
Originally posted by @Minh Le:

@Nancy Z.,

Best of luck. 

Louis has been super efficient and on the ball as a property manager. As both an owner and a tenant in the real estate game, I'm with Minh on this one ;) (and on most things lol ;)

Nancy, do you mind sharing where you are moving, or more importantly, why..?

Hey J. Martin, thanks for weighing in! Will definitely look into Louis.  We are moving for a opportunity :)

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here