Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Dafina Smith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
First Apartment Deal: Atlanta (I know) vs. Philly (Nearby) ?

Dafina Smith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York City, NY
Posted Sep 4 2015, 10:50

I'm looking to begin investing in Multifamily Units.  I have been in Atlanta, GA for the past 7 years. I owned a business there as well as rented and bought several homes in the Midtown Atlanta area.  I have an affinity of Atlanta and I know it well through the lens of a business person (I'm familiar with the surrounding markets from when I was looking to expand my business) 

But... we had to relocate a year and half ago for my husband's job in NYC.  His family has invested in Residential Income Property in Philly for two generations but not specifically large apartment complexes.  I've been a few times and it's easy for me to get down in about 1 1/2 hours from the city. 

So... as I begin to look into investing I want to buy big enough to justify a property management company.  I hope to buy 15-40 units for my first deal.  Yet I know that even with a property management company I need to be able to be there especially for my first deal.  Yet... I know the value of knowing your market. 

So my question to you all is based on this is it better to buy in the market that you are familiar but faraway from or is it better to be nearby but not as familiar for that first deal?  

Thanks!

Loading replies...