Heating Thermostat Control for 5 Family Building

6 Replies

I closed on a 5 family brownstone in Brooklyn last week. The building was occupied by the owner who lived in one of the units and had the thermostat that controlled the heat for the entire building in her unit.

The heat for the building is produced by a single gas fired steam boiler which was installed last year when the old oil boiler was replaced.

What is the best option for controlling the heat for the property? All of the units will be occupied by tenants.

Hi Ariel,

We have several clients in the NYC metro area with similar buildings that use our system for managing boilers and ensuring both compliance, auditing and comfort. 

In respecting the BP forum rules, feel free to reach out to me and I can share more info with you.

Sam

Hi, I'm a little late to the thread.  I always put a sensor in the last apartment to receive the steam heat.  The sensor runs to a unit that I can control on the internet.  The unit costs me about $250 each. 

Your building like mine in brooklyn, you will find out that the steam is unbalanced.  Some apartments will be hot like .... and others will cry.

Most brooklyn apartment buildings are one pipe and each radiator have an air valve. If the air valve  doesn't work then the radiator will not get hot.  NO MATTER how much pressure the boiler puts out.

There is alot of savings that can be gained by watching the steam run, heat up the radiators, go to pressure and continue until the required temperature is reached.   It will take a couple of years to fix what unaware plumbers and landlords have done to the system.

i use the webrelay products.  I have deployed three x300, two x310 and I am working on adapting to their new x600.  They have a wireless sensor but I am waiting for firmware upgrade to use it with the x series.

I do a little bit of scripting to tweak it.

It's is headless, meaning there is no display. All over the network/internet.

If you had to start tomorrow, buy the x310, if you can wait a month, I would buy the x600.  My x600 is still on my bench waiting for me to work on it.

I think it's roberts or robertson that makes a thermostat (not Home depot, but go to a real supply store like Johnstone) that can be remotely (think basement) located.  Then it can have up to 4 sensors in the living space, it averages the temperature of the 4 sensors and uses that as the "room temp", ignoring the temp of the basement. 

It wont be a matter of setting it to 68 and leaving...finding the right temperature will take practice. I suggest getting the wireless "weather station" remote thermometers, putting the "outside" sensor in each apartment (one per) so you can see downstairs what temp each apartment is.  Then take a couple weeks and play w numbers and comfort/complaints.