Votes
Kyle Blake
  • Fort Collins, CO
Votes |
FHA Multi-Family Loan Clarification

Kyle Blake
  • Fort Collins, CO
Posted Feb 9 2016, 22:17

I wanted to get clarification on some of the loan details for FHA. Asking here since I was given wrong information by a loan officer when I was first looking last summer. Once he told me I absolutely could not use FHA for a multi, I stopped all potential dealing with him since I knew he was wrong. I even verified by calling FHA. I have found a new mortgage company but I still feel the need to get some input from here, on one thing.

So the question is:

For a multi-family loan. Does it follow the same loan values as a standard single family loan. By that, I mean if I qualify for say a max of $300k for a house, is that the same max for a multi as well? I thought for a multi the added income would increase the options for loan maximum but wanted to ask here. A lot of information (and mis-information) I have gotten from lenders seems to be a result of their own rules and not actually loan guidelines. 

I ask since, I am in a college town and even "cheap" duplexes are in the $400k range to start, so if there are lenders that loan higher and take the added income into account it would be more ideal. 

Loading replies...