Newbie looking to purchase 23 Units on Master Lease Agreement

Newbie looking to purchase 23 Units on Master Lease Agreement

Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 4 votes

Hi BP family,

I recently received an email regarding a multi-family 23 unit apartment complex just outside Houston. So far I've visited the property, taken pictures, and spoken to the broker who works with the owner. I'm a newbie investor, so I don't have a liquid assets to purchase the property, other than the EM required. I've sought funding through my local credit union but, they require too much down to secure funding. And a hard money would request astronomical points and fees. So I've been reading about the master lease agreement, which is an awesome idea (thanks Brandon Turner). Regarding the master lease should I do A intent to purchase contract first, providing they are willing to do the deal?However, I'm not sure what my next step is. Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks BP family, 

Marcus Joseph 

2Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

MHP Investor · Green Valley, AZ · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 26 votes
10y

 If your a newbie investor why are you looking at such a big deal? You are jumping in over your head I think, don't even have the cash to get the financing plays a big role

He's going to have the same amount of work on this as he would a 5 unit, might as well go big i'd say - if it cash flows basic maintenance will be covered by that and due dilligence should give him breathing room to save up for roof repairs and the like.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Marcus, I am in a similar situation with a property closer to Cleveland Ohio. Will share what I learn. 

  • Investor · Towson, MD · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Hello Arun Chhaptar, I am local in the Cleveland market. I saw you have pending deal, good luck. Are you looking for more deals in the Cleveland market?
  • Investor · Towson, MD · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Sorry I misspelled your last name.
  • Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 857 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Marcus Joseph:

    Hi BP family,

    I recently received an email regarding a multi-family 23 unit apartment complex just outside Houston. So far I've visited the property, taken pictures, and spoken to the broker who works with the owner. I'm a newbie investor, so I don't have a liquid assets to purchase the property, other than the EM required. I've sought funding through my local credit union but, they require too much down to secure funding. And a hard money would request astronomical points and fees. So I've been reading about the master lease agreement, which is an awesome idea (thanks Brandon Turner). Regarding the master lease should I do A intent to purchase contract first, providing they are willing to do the deal?However, I'm not sure what my next step is. Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

    Thanks BP family, 

    Marcus Joseph 

     If your a newbie investor why are you looking at such a big deal? You are jumping in over your head I think, don't even have the cash to get the financing plays a big role

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    I think the biggest hurdle you'll run into is getting the broker to go for it and get on your side with the owner. He or she is probably used to being paid the standard way. You'll have to find a way to pay the broker.

  • MHP Investor · Green Valley, AZ · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 26 votes
    10y

     If your a newbie investor why are you looking at such a big deal? You are jumping in over your head I think, don't even have the cash to get the financing plays a big role

    He's going to have the same amount of work on this as he would a 5 unit, might as well go big i'd say - if it cash flows basic maintenance will be covered by that and due dilligence should give him breathing room to save up for roof repairs and the like.

  • Investor · Newark, DE · Member since 2015 · 248 posts · 178 votes
    10y

    I think he needs to find a solid JV for this.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Marcus Joseph where you able to close this deal ?

  • Travelle MasonPro Member
    Rockville, MD · Member since 2018 · 93 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    @Marcus Joseph, I'm with @Cedric Modoufeh, I NEED SOME CLOSURE HERE! What happened? 

    I go through a lot of these forum posts, there's hardly ever any conclusion included. Y'all are killing me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.