Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sarah O'Neal
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Considering my first commercial property....is this a bad deal?

Sarah O'Neal
  • Denver, CO
Posted

Hi BiggerPockets community!

My husband and I are considering our first commercial property (1129 Pearl Street, Denver CO 80203). It's listed at $1,170,000. To meet an estimated 358k downpayment, we would pull $243k out of our other rental property and pay the other $115k in cash. The property has a new boiler and a relatively new roof (2012). Current rents on all 5 units gross $6924 monthly, but market rates are more like $7025 and they are all updated. It is a great, walkable area that is highly desirable in Denver. The location is AMAZING with this place.

Is this a bad deal? I know that the 1% rule is very important to the BiggerPockets community, but that's just unattainable in Denver. What questions do I need to be asking? 

Also, we are currently renting a place at $1400 in the middle of this area. We get a 1-car garage, fireplace, huge kitchen, and our rent is WAY below market. Would it be a good idea to move into one of the units in this building, or stay in our current place and rent out all 5 units? Is it a wash either way? 

Here's the brochure for the property: 

http://images2.loopnet.com/d2/ZTz2OTUqUC_YhaZmxQfZ...

Thank you ahead of time for your input, we really like this property but don't want to jump into something that's going to be a bad investment!

Loading replies...