Laundry Equipment Purchase vs. Lease - owner wants to own

Laundry Equipment Purchase vs. Lease - owner wants to own

Property Manager · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 380 posts · 167 votes

I have a portfolio with an owner that is asking us to put together 15 laundry rooms with card reading machines that are self owned, not through a laundry leasing company, which is what we normally do for many reasons.   I have been looking everywhere for a good solution, but cannot find an easy way to locate and setup about 50 machines as the owner is requesting.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?   The trick is we want card readers that that will all be on one merchant account and one bank account (that is the good part).   I am desperately looking for any good information on this since we need to get the laundry rooms up and running as quickly as possible.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  I normally like to lease since the installation goes well, the machines are maintenance and updated by a large company that only does laundry and we typically can get great technology at lower rate that purchasing full retail.  We are located in Minneapolis, MN.

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 149 votes
8y

In my 4plex previous owner was leasing 1 dryer and 1 washer by paying $150/month and also sharing income (quarters, it was coin operated). When I took over, I bought my own commercial washer/dryer (Speed Queen) very reliable machines. I spent about $2000. In 1 year I got my money back by not paying $150/month, and was also getting close to $150/month from washer/dryer in coins. I did have a small issue second year of operation, and paid about $300 to have it fixed. So my preference is it own. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Plano, TX · Member since 2015 · 734 posts · 511 votes
    8y

    @Michael Tempel are you asking for referrals to vendors or are you asking if it's a good idea financially?

    Personally, I prefer to own. having a large company own and maintain it leaves the owner with very little income. 

    While a little more headache up front to setup and some ongoing maintenance efforts the income is way larger which help the NOI (which push the value up) and the owner can also depreciate the costs of the machines and write off the expenses of the normal maintenance costs.

  • Real Estate Agent · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 211 posts · 88 votes
    8y

    I can't help you with first hand facts, but in the hundreds of buildings I work with in New York City, they all lease. This should tell you something.

  • Tim SwierczekPro Member
    Lender · White Bear Township, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Michael Tempel This company offers what you are looking for and the tenant can use an app instead of a card.  Even better.  https://www.coinmach.com/

    PS- lunch soon

  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 149 votes
    8y

    In my 4plex previous owner was leasing 1 dryer and 1 washer by paying $150/month and also sharing income (quarters, it was coin operated). When I took over, I bought my own commercial washer/dryer (Speed Queen) very reliable machines. I spent about $2000. In 1 year I got my money back by not paying $150/month, and was also getting close to $150/month from washer/dryer in coins. I did have a small issue second year of operation, and paid about $300 to have it fixed. So my preference is it own. 

  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 149 votes
    8y

    To buy washer/dryer I went with macgray.com, and to deliver/install with bdslaundry.com. Whenever any service required, I had bdslaundry.com come and service.

  • Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2012 · 70 posts · 26 votes
    8y

    also try  https://www.payrange.com      i use it in a couple laundromats and some rentals.       no special expensive card reading contraption.   just a little internal device.     tenants or customers can pay with their app standing next to the machine.     

    i would recommend owning also.    commercial grade machines are designed to withstand laundromat traffic which is several uses per day  365 days a year for years.    You're not going to have that kind of usage with tenants.    So you shouldn't have too much maintenance, especially if you get new commercial grade machines.    

  • Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2012 · 70 posts · 26 votes
    8y

    also with pay range,  yes you can just have all the income from all your machines at various locations all go into one bank account.  they send you weekly reports.    it's pretty easy overall.   

  • Real Estate Broker · Hugo, MN · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 596 votes
    8y
    I had a 100 unit building that had the card system and it caused quite a bit of trouble. Seniors had difficulty, it’s harder to issue refunds, if the machines used to load money onto the cards were malfunctioning residents were unable to do their laundry. Others in the industry have liked them.
  • Property Manager · Castro Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 212 posts · 110 votes
    8y

    @Michael Tempel,


    Spyderwash will set you up with equipment and a distributor that can sell machines as well.
    You will need wifi in each laundryroom.

    I looked into this for a client of ours, we didn't go with the proposal, but there is an option out there.

    Let me know if you need any contact info.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.