Multifamily/utilities/Muncie codes and ordinances

9 Replies

I recently purchased two multifamily properties in Muncie. I am doing a lot of renovations, and the city inspectors have been out a few times. The last visit from the inspectors one of them said I now need to put all the apartments on their own gas and water meters (electric is already separated).

This doesn't sound right to me. When I asked why the only answer I received was "It's code".

Is anyone on here well versed in Muncie codes and ordinances?

Our experience is that when an owner is doing major renovations (and pulling permits) you'll have to comply with all the new code and zoning ordinances, it is possible to get variances, but that is it's own whole process.

Thanks for the reply.

I fully understand and I'm willing to be in compliance with all codes and ordinances. The problem I'm facing is what are they? I estimate the cost for separating the seven apartments will be well over 20k. I would like to avoid this huge expense. I am getting conflicting answers from the city.

I've read through that pdf for the last five days, and I cant find anything that relates to what they told me. I agree about getting it in writing. We received one C.O. today with no mention of gas and water meters. Maybe they forgot....

Are you local and in the area? I small donation to the Mayor's re-election campaign cant hurt.  But you may run into an issue I had where the state requirements supersede the local ones.

Any updates on this Derek?

At any point was the gas and water service turned off?

Originally posted by @Jameson Drew :

Are you local and in the area? I small donation to the Mayor's re-election campaign cant hurt.  But you may run into an issue I had where the state requirements supersede the local ones.

Originally posted by @Derek Belhumeur:
Originally posted by @Jameson Drew:

I live in New Orleans, but I have a friend in Muncie (carpenter/property manager) so, since purchasing the two properties I've been up a few times. I've thought about reaching out to the mayor or city council, but I am afraid of backlash from the building inspector.

Originally posted by @James Siros :

Any updates on this Derek?

At any point was the gas and water service turned off?

Utilities were never turned off and both houses were occupied when I made the purchase. They haven't brought it up again, so I guess I'll try and play it cool...

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.