Househack a Three Family or Single Family then Refi? First?

2 Replies

Hello,

I will be purchasing my first property soon. I am in the Northeast, and was wondering if it would be smarter to purchase a three-family home, live in one unit (for 12 months w/FHA) and rent the other two out, and then purchase my first single family when school gets out in 2019...or buy a single family home first and then refinance w/cash out and purchase an investment property? I have three children and I'm concerned about them switching schools too many times within a short period of time. So, the areas that have many of these three-family homes for under 200k are in some of the worst areas. Then again, there are hidden gems. My point is, I am unsure what I should do first, and I have gone back and forth in my head for months now. I can some advice right now! Thanks!

Hi @Tijana Flowers-Harris ,

I think it comes down to how much cash you have for a downpayment. If you can find a 2-4 unit within your budget (I assume 3-5% down if you're using FHA) and in a safe neighborhood, you should definitely do that. Just make sure you save some cash in reserves, as you may need it for managing the other units.

If purchasing a 2-4 unit spreads your finances too thin, then go with a smaller SFH in a safe neighborhood. I would encourage you to treat the SFH like a rental though, and try to purchase one that would cash flow if a tenant were in it. This will make the transition to house hacking your next property much easier.

Best of luck!

@Tijana Flowers-Harris Everything boils down to your personal and financial situation/flexibility. Regardless of what you buy, you will have to treat it like a business. Therefore, run the #s thoroughly to ensure that you are positively cash flowing on the property. 

Assuming this is your first purchase, look towards investing in a safer neighborhood with a more "stable" property. This will help you in getting your feet wet and give you momentum as you start buying more properties. 

Best of luck!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here