Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sara Peak
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
Taking a six plex to an eight plex

Sara Peak
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Posted Nov 10 2017, 05:29

What says the group? I am about to close on a 6 plex. This is my first multi family. It's a great cap rate, good income, there's a maintenance guy already in place that wants to accept work, so overall, I feel like it's a great first multi family for me. 

Downstairs, there are two huge areas that are not being utilized well, IMO. One is a huge laundry room with only one washer and one dryer. The other is storage, that the last landlord is allowing people to use for free. I think there's great opportunity to turn those areas into two extra units, making the 6 plex into 8. There's another storage unit not being used that I could then put the laundry in.

Basically, I just wanted to walk through my plan and see what I'm missing/not considering, etc to make this 6 plex into 8. I would appreciate any feedback from those who have done this before.

My plan is to get at least 3 bids from contractors. Ask them what it would cost to turn this space into something rentable. Will probably only fit a one bedroom (or studio) and each of them need windows cut out in the building. Will a contractor recommend a layout for the space?

I also will work on getting a building permit (right?) and plan to apply for an exemption on the parking rules or add another parking spot if necessary.

For financing: it sounds like my options would be to pay cash for the reno, find private money, or go to my bank that financed the loan to start with? Any suggestions here?

Assuming all goes well, I've calculated that it will add about $1200/mo in extra cash flow. From there, do I sell as an 8 plex? Refinance to get the cash out? Or just enjoy the extra income? My long term goal is to move to larger multi families, so i see this as an opportunity to improve the building, sell, and 1031 exchange to something larger.

Any advice, feedback on any part of this is welcomed and appreciated!!

Loading replies...