First Multi-Family Investment Question

3 Replies

Hey All, I’m looking at a small multi family (8 units) as my next investment, after a few recent single family homes. This is a bit new to me but I’m really excited about the opportunity. My big question I’m hoping I could pick everyone’s brain on is financing... At this point, I probably have enough cash available for 10-15% down. I’m wondering what my financing options are, where to start, etc? I’d love any suggestions as I look to take the next big step! Thanks in advance!

@Michael Mudrey Since this is a commercial investment, on average, you will be expected to have a 20% down payment. 

To make up the 5-10% difference, you can try to get owner financing. E.g. your down payment = 15%, owner carries a note = 10% and financing = 75%. An alternative would be to work with the owner and have them carry the entire note (they act as a bank). In this scenario, your down payment = 15%, owner financing = 85%. 

You have to educate the owners around tax savings (if they sell, they will have to pay capital gains tax) and sustainability of cash flows backed by a hard asset that they are familiar with, among other things. 

If you decide to go down this route, please, keep in mind to structure the deal to ensure that the #s still work. Often times, investors tweak the #s to make the deal barely function (on paper) and do not leave any margin of error. 

@Aron Siva Depending on how the deal is structured and on the conditions of the lender, this can work with any lender. At the end of the day a couple of things come into play:

• What is the state of their business? For e.g. with smaller/regional players, if they've filled up their "book", they have no incentive to give better terms. Alternatively, if they have a lot of liquidity (deposits or capital) that they have not loaned out, you might be in a position to get better terms.
  • What is the lender's outlook on the market/deal? Honestly, if a lender is gung-ho about a market/deal, they are more willing to work with you. This is especially if you either have an existing relationship or they can see you will provide them long-term, sustainable business i.e. you're not a one-and-done investor.
  • How much leeway does the loan officer have and how are they compensated? Nobody likes to talk about this but if a loan officer has "flexibility", can extend himself and just "needs" to loan out another million $ to hit his performance target, you will find a more receptive loan officer. This doesn't mean everyone will do this. All I'm saying is you might have a more receptive loan officer on one transaction and on a similar transaction a few months from now, they might not be as enthusiastic.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.