Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Gabriel Miller
  • Investor
  • Everett, WA
Votes |
Emerging Markets: How to find them. A book that "helps".

Gabriel Miller
  • Investor
  • Everett, WA
Posted Dec 26 2017, 14:29

I am looking to invest up to $200K cash in apartment buildings anywhere in the US.  I am struggling to down select markets to build relationships in so I can get deal flow.

In 2008 David Lindahl published "Emerging Real Estate Markets" and in that book he says "one of the best places to find forecasted job growth is from the US Census.  Go online to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and search for forecasted job growth".   I did this and could not find any forecast data by location as David suggests.  I contacted the US Census and they told me they do not have this data.  Does anyone know why David would have said this works when it clearly does not?  I find it hard to believe that the data was offered in 2008 and is not provided now.  

The US Census was kind enough to point me to State population growth projections here:  https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/popproj/gu...  I am interested in Ohio so if I select that link I find projections by county.  I was hoping for something by city but this data is not bad I guess.  I am interested in Cincinnati and this data suggests a slight population decline in Hamilton county between now and 2020 where Cincinnati is located.  

If anyone has any recommendations on how to find good data to support which markets I should buy apartment buildings in I am all ears.  Is there anyone in industry conducts analysis and creates reports?  I would be willing to pay if they are good.   

Thanks,  Gabe

Loading replies...