Best deals on AC Units

8 Replies

Hello Everybody, 

I own several 4plexs and each of them has rooftop packaged heat pump AC units. I bought most of the buildings with older AC units that I've slowly been working my way through replacing. I've used several different companies and tried everything from New units to refurbished ones. Refurbished units are cheaper but the question is on how long they will last. My question is when it comes to replacing AC units, what is the strategy that you employ? My thought is trying not to spend a whole lot of cash but getting the best I can for what I do spend. No sense in buying an AC unit from one company for 5 grand, when I can get the same unit installed by someone else for 3,500. Really what I want to know is how does everybody go about shopping for units and finding the best prices? 

I prefer proactive replacement because it is cheaper in the long run. No emergency calls.

I shop around. I have a couple of companies that I like more than others. I would love to have an hourly tech that I could use (I have a plumber like that) but right now I don't.

I buy new units. I don't like to use parts of the existing one, particularly in cases where refrigerants have changed.

There will be people that are able to get things done for less money, but the high efficiency and reliability that we get makes this approach work for us.

A new HVAC system properly installed & maintained should last around 15 years. In my short investing career I have learned not to wait until system breaks in getting it replaced. Typically it breaks in hottest or coldest day of the year and that’s when you will pay a premium price to get it replace or fixed.
Personally I would not want to install a refurbished HVAC system, I think you’re better off w new installation and not have to worry about it for a long time.
Typically when I purchase a unit and I know HVAC system is over 15 yo I know that sooner rather than later I will have to replace it and I plan for it..
My HVAC tech have given me some good deals in Charlotte by buying multiple systems and being flexible w installation date

@Raul R. is right. You have to take in to account that they will be working the hardest when the weather is the most extreme whether it be hot or cold. Tis the reason they always seem to break on the hottest or coldest day of the year. 

Thanks for the posts everybody. So I'm getting mostly recommendations to be proactive in replacements. (I agree with this as I've had a couple units die on me and it wasn't very convenient for me or my tenants), go with new installations over refurbished, and try working out deals with the installation company (I've had luck with this). Has anybody tried any of those online wholesale companies where they ship the unit local and you get a local installer? Also, do you guys feel that the brand matters much for reliability? Most new units seem to come with a 10 year parts warranty and a 2 year labor warranty around here. 

@Corey G. . Hey! I'm also in the Phoenix area and was just about to go through the same decision. I'm curious what you ended up doing and how much it cost? thanks!

Hi Jake

Recently I bought a new unit from a company that I've used before locally. Not sure if I can mention the name here or not. The company that was doing refurbished jacked up the prices so it wasn't even worth considering anymore. I've got a 2 ton packaged heat pump unit (single) for 3000 installed with stand. It is an off brand but it's brand new. I can get 2 ton packaged heat pump trane units from another company for around 3700. I bet if you buy multiple, either company would give you a small break on them. I wouldn't pay much more than that for the 2 ton however. 

I bought a 2.5 ton York hvac w/ 5 yr warranty and 1 yr warranty on labor for $3500 installed 10 months ago - Tempe AZ

https://www.alpinehomeair.com

GOODMAN GPC1424H41

2 Ton, 14 SEER Self-Contained Packaged Air Conditioner, Dedicated Horizontal

$1,834.00

The 2.5 ton is $1871

The 3 ton is $1886

I used to buy these when I lived in California. The company is outside of Chicago and they ship free and do not charge sales tax. 

Further, they don't care if you are "licensed" HVAC guy. You pay, they ship it right to your house or wherever. A crane should cost you $300 to take the old one off and place the new one on the roof. The guy I used was $300 for a 4 hour minimum. It took him 15 minutes. Just have the one on the roof completely disconnected when he arrives.

Get a referral for an HVAC tech to do the job on a Saturday. The units come pre-loaded with freon so dont let anyone charge you extra for that. That includes the freon in several feet of line. 

This stuff is easy.

DL

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here