Rising rates - what is your plan

3 Replies

The Fed is telling us that rates will continue to rise.  Interest rate risk might be the most significant risk if you are borrowing.

Look at a historical prime rates http://www.fedprimerate.com/wall_street_journal_pr... .  

If we get into a period of 10 to 20 years averaging 9, 10, 11 percent prime, what is your plan?  

Rising rates and balloon payments coming due is a great way to clear the market.

Lock in as long of a term as possible. If you are at a floating rate and can lock in for 7-10+ years then you should be ok. If in 10 years the rate is 11%, you will have paid down your principal balance significantly and likely inflation will have happened, so your rents will have increase (and expenses), resulting in still solid cash flow. 

@Chad Linn I don't see us getting to those levels anytime soon, but I do think we'll see the next several years with 5%-7% perm rates. I don't think we'll see runaway inflation like we did in the early 1980's, which caused Prime to spike. Inflation has been growing at a controllable pace and pretty much in line with the 2% target (although the Fed is talking about raising that target).

@Todd Dexheimer is right about locking in to a longer term - I'd also look for longer amortization to improve cashflow. Multifamily is the best asset class for longer rate/am as Fannie can go for 12, 15, 20 and 30 year terms and both GSE's have 30 year ams. For lower leverage deals, say sub 60%, some banks and life insurance companies allow you to forward rate lock up to 12 months prior to close. Helpful for anyone with a maturity in 2019 that's worried about where their rate will be.

@Chad Linn  If you are still at floating rates, start shopping around to see if you can lock in for as long as possible. I don't believe the rates will rise forever. We have been in a stable and growing economy for a while, a downturn is very likely, which will definitely lead to rates stabilizing.  

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.