Jake And Gino Deal Analyzer

18 Replies

Hello everyone , 

I am currently looking for multi family properties , in Houston , TX preferrably Class C properties and I was looking to purchase the jake and gino deal analyzer for $97.00USD , looking through it , looks very accurate as far as information needed to properly analyze a deal quickly . The analyzer/calculator gives CCR , DSCR & Cap Rate , I believe for $97.00USD to be able to get this info quickly and accurately is definitely worth it. Please if you have any experience with this particular software or can offer any insight to analyzing multi family deals that would be great .

You may also checkout Tools > FilePlace at the top of the page. There may be a similar calculator in there for free. Are you looking for 5+ units?

@Savion Miller I don’t have any experience with their analyzer but do with Michael Blank’s Syndicated Deal Analyzer. His is quite thorough and even goes as far as to be able to structure in the numbers for syndicating the deal, different loan scenarios, acquisition costs, investor returns, exit strategies, and other important items. It’s right around the same price and I have found it to be invaluable.

Stephen 

I use the Jake & Gino analyzer and its great. there are other components that come with it like REO, Net worth and videos that guyed you through how to use it.

The BP rental property tool is mainly good for  1-4 units residential properties.

I can also share with you that the Wheelbarrow Academy is great value and full of great content. 

@Savion Miller The Deal Analyzer by Jake Stenziano and @Gino Barbaro has been a valuable tool and totally worth the investment. I would highly recommend it.

@Account Closed I don't have any experience using the Michael Blank's deal analyze but I have heard from several people that it is a good tool as well.

@Savion Mill I think you should have as many tools as possible in your belt when getting started. It is not a bad idea to run your deals through 2 or 3 calculators when you are beginning to see how they shake out. You will eventually end up liking one or just deciding to use those calculators as guides when you decide to create your own deal analyzing tool/spreadsheet.

Go make a decision and start analyzing deals so you can start submitting your LOI 's and get PSA 's in place.

Good question @Savion Miller . As @Account Closed deal analyzer (SDA) which turned out to be a total game-changer for becoming a good syndicator and multifamily real estate investor. It has practically everything you need and more. It's totally worth it. I'd say it delivers the biggest bang for your buck in terms of a single paid real estate product or tool I have ever purchased. Hands down.

Good luck, have fun and PM me if you have any other detailed questions.

Best, Ken

For clarification, the File Place is not the Calculator. I’ll need to double check when I am back on a desktop, but the File Place should contain thousands of spreadsheets that people have uploaded to share with others. The ones I have are a lot more detailed than the calculators.

Unfortunately I can’t point you to exactly what you are looking for, but it’s potentially a cheaper option if you find a good one.

@Savion Miller

Looks like you have received plenty of advice from your posting, but I see you have interest in other markets. Any particular reason for wanting to spread out? Just out of curiosity.

@Brandon Miller looking around in houston and also speaking with a couple of people the houston market is a bit over priced right now . I was actually wanting to explore San Antonio a bit do you invest in multi family in that market ? I was looking at Tennessee , Alabama , North Carolina , In Texas San Antonio , Lubbock & Houston if I can find something not so pricey.

@Savion Miller

San Antonio is, in my opinion, the best overall market in Texas right now to invest. Taking into consideration price point, appreciation, surrounding areas, and being the fastest growing city in the nation. 

I will add you and DM you my contact info so we can speak further!

A 'deal analyzer' is only as good as the data you put into it.  And I'd suggest with most class C deals, the data you're going to get to plug is isn't going to be accurate.  You'd be much more accurate as to your eventual financials if you plug in your own numbers based on your own experience. 

I can make any property have any CAP rate. Which is why it's a silly metric for class C.

@Cody L. What would you suggest as far a something to analyze then ? Good old fashion Microsoft spreadsheet? So what you are saying is that certain property classes have certain ways you should go about doing due dilligence? And could you explain more about what you mean by making any property have any CAP rate?

Originally posted by @Savion Miller :

@Cody L. What would you suggest as far a something to analyze then ? Good old fashion Microsoft spreadsheet? So what you are saying is that certain property classes have certain ways you should go about doing due dilligence? And could you explain more about what you mean by making any property have any CAP rate?

Sure. I can make the CAP (due to changes in the NOI) be as high or low as what someone wants). How much do I charge for management? I own and manage it so do I charge 0%? Or do I charge 10% as some type of 'market' rate. Or do I charge 5-6% which is where our average costs boils out to on our portfolio.

For insurance, we have some properties we own cash.  And thus no insurance.  So if I give someone my "Actuals" they won't have insurance.  Or I could use my own est of what I know I can get which is super cheap next to what most people pay (I have a great broker and get the minimum required and high deductible).  Or do I put in some 'gold level' plan for insurance. 

For repairs.  I often see $0.  Or I often see people bundle ALL their costs, including CapX into "repairs".  Depends on if these financials are for the bank (low costs) or the IRS (high costs)

What about income?  Do you use a current full rent roll for your income assumptions?  Or past years when it may not have been as stable or market rent lower.   

I could go on and on but you get the point. There are tons of things you can do to make NOI look super high or super low.

Analyzing a property isn't that hard.  Income is easy to know.  Look at the rent roll.  Apply a modest vacancy factor if you wish.  Big costs will be property tax (known), your debt service (only you will know), insurance (you know what you pay per $ insured -- who cares what the seller is doing), and utils will be $x/month or $y/month per unit typically based on if they're all bills paid or not. 

It takes me about 2 seconds to look at a property to know what I'd pay.  No giant XLS needed.   And I'm not a rocket scientist.  I'm not even a regular scientist.  Or a rocket  (stolen line from BroScience)

Originally posted by @Savion Miller :

@Cody L. thank you for taking the time to explain , how long have you been purchasing multi family properties and if I may ask where do you prefer to invest ?

Bought my first one about 11 years ago.  All in Houston, TX.  Just over 1000 units (well, I've bought more than 1,000 but I've sold along the way.  So am currently holding ~1,000 units)

The deal analyzer is great and worth the money, but if I could offer a piece of advice... I would make sure that you spend time educating yourself on each individual metric shown. Learn how it is calculated, and most importantly how to interpret it. 

If you already understand what you are looking at, it can really speed up the process of a quick analysis. 

@Cody L. & @Jacob Avery Just nailed the answer with a similar take: if you don’t know the numbers amen how they’re derived, your fudge factor will be too far off regardless of which tool you use. 

I’m a big fan of using spreadsheets to help me answer the questions, and I don’t have experience with the one you’re asking about, but I agree with Cody that if you want to convince yourself a deal is good, you’ll do whatever it takes. Do as much work as you can to verify your numbers, stay a bit on the conservative side, and then make a lot of offers that likely get rejected. ;)