Down payment question

Down payment question

Dixon, IL · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 7 votes
Need a little BP advice. I won’t bore you with details of the property, but essentially I’m looking at a minimum of $1,000 a month cashflow with no improvements. If I were to purchase, I will easily be between 1,300-1,500 CF. Asking price is 260,000. I have negotiated down to 240k. The bank has verbally agreed to loan me 240k provided I can put 20% down (48k)+closing costa I have 25k ready and waiting to put into the DP. I could wipe out my emergency fund for the remaining but really don’t want to. What other ways can I finance the rest of the down payment?
0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 28 votes
8y

If you currently have a property with equity, the HELOC is absolutely the way to go.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    @Shane Albert You could finance the rest with 1. a personal loan, 2. Use cars as collateral, 3. partner with another investor, 4. Find a hard money lender for the difference in the down payment needed to close, and/or 5. Look into a cash advance on credit cards. You may have to be creative if these options don't work for your scenario.  

    If you plan on living in the property you would be able to put less money down. Something to consider. 

    Good luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    If you currently have a property with equity, the HELOC is absolutely the way to go.

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 90 votes
    8y

    Also if it made sense you could try to convince the owner to take a note in second position behind the bank (if bank is cool with that). 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 483 posts · 956 votes
    8y

    @Shane Albert

    You could also find a new bank that will do a 15%, 10% or even 5% down like mine does for me.

  • Dixon, IL · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    @Clifford Paul, how common is that small of a down payment for a commercial loan?
  • Dixon, IL · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    @Damon Pendleton, can you elaborate? I have been trying to figure out a way to work with the owners on the down payment as well, I haven’t came across this option yet.
  • Dixon, IL · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    @Caleb Culver I am very much considering that as well.
  • Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2017 · 394 posts · 178 votes
    8y

    @Shane Albert-  @Damon Pendleton's talking about seller-financing or owner carry.  The owner may consider it if he has already paid off the existing mortgage. In other words ask the owner if he would be willing to carry you the balance of the down payment you need.  The bank may or may not approve, however, as Damon rightly pointed out.

  • Dixon, IL · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    @Colby Fryar early on I brought up the idea of owner financing only to find out that the owners have a loan on the property.
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 483 posts · 956 votes
    8y

    @Shane Albert

    I don't know how common it is but I'm not the only one on BP that's getting 5% down loans. 

    In my case I have been using the same small town bank for 30 years. In the last couple of years they given me 7 loans with 5% down and I have my builder building another one. 

    Keep in mind that they didn't start out giving me 5%, it was 20%, then 15%, then 10% and now 5%. What really helps me is when I sold my first portfolio in 2007 I parked $250k in investments with them. So they know where some of my money is. 

    I have been telling anyone who will listen to build a relationship with their small bank or credit union that does in house loans and stop chasing banks. I certainly wouldn't be where I am today had I keep chasing banks.

    Last Friday I closed my 43rd loan with them a $300k new construction loan with 0 down, no points, 5% for 12 months. Bought 2 flops for $50k cash and gave 1 house to a house moving company and building a new office building with a projected profit of $350k. 

  • Dixon, IL · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    Is there any reason not to just write a big check I don’t want to write? I have the funds to get this deal under contract but I also feel that I could do more smaller properties faster with the 52k I would need for the down payment.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.