How to finance a Portfolio deal?

How to finance a Portfolio deal?

Palpark, NJ · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 11 votes

I'm looking at a portfolio deal with 3 properties (10 units total). The seller isn't interested in owner financing so I'm looking to get a loan but I'm stump on where I should start looking. I heard about SBA 7a and Freddie Mac but I'm not sure if this would qualify as it's multiple (residential) building (all less than 4 units). 

What are some of my other options?

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Technology · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 262 posts · 265 votes
8y

@John Moon

Given the information above, I believe you have two good options: 

1) Finance all three separately on conventional, FHA financing (under 4 units)

2) Approach a local bank on the deal. They most likely won't allow as high leverage as FHA in (1), but they'll be used to "unique" situations.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Technology · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 262 posts · 265 votes
    8y

    @John Moon

    Given the information above, I believe you have two good options: 

    1) Finance all three separately on conventional, FHA financing (under 4 units)

    2) Approach a local bank on the deal. They most likely won't allow as high leverage as FHA in (1), but they'll be used to "unique" situations.

  • Palpark, NJ · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @Tyler Kastelberg I wasn't considering the individual loans b/c of the bank cost. BUT I'm wondering if this would really make much of a cost impact. I suppose I need to reach out to all my local bank contacts and see what options they offer

  • Lender · Hackensack, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 372 votes
    8y

    What are the property values? 

    If you didn't want to go the individual route you can get a portfolio loan however expect rates to come in around 6% sometimes as high as 8% depending on the situation 

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    If you qualify for conventional Fannie/Freddie loans that will be your best long term option for 4plex's.

    If you don't then you'll want to get a commercial/portfolio loan either on each property or bundled together.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    @John Moon one thing to think about too, is if you get a portfolio loan, what happens if you want to sell just one of them? or two of them?

  • Palpark, NJ · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    I think this makes sense. The seller wants to sell it as a bundle as they're out of state, but I'm going to see if they're willing to just sell 1 than 0.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @John Moon Bridge lenders should be able to provide short-to-medium term financing (6 months to 3 years). This can allow you to sell an asset, improve your personal balance sheet and/or be in a better position to get conventional financing. 

  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @John Moon This is a very typical commercial loan. Talk to your local banks, tell them what you want to do, and they can easily tell you how to do it. You will need 25% down. They will loan you 75% of the purchase price. You should be able to answer basic questions that they have such as who will manage the property. You will need a personal financial statement and provide two years of your personal tax returns.

  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Justin Wai:

    @John Moon one thing to think about too, is if you get a portfolio loan, what happens if you want to sell just one of them? or two of them?

     You can sell individual properties from the bundle. You would need to get a release from the lender. The closing attorney would wire funds to the lender for the release amount and they would clear the deed for that specific property. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.