Looking to build a duplex in Snohomish WA

10 Replies

Lot size and similar should be driven by the local zoning and building regulations. Have you spoken to anyone who is in the construction trade or is an architect? Someone local will know a lot.

@Dean Johnson , this topic comes quite often here on BP. You need to make contact with a local architect whom is familiar with working in your jurisdiction and completing residential new builds to walk you through the process. It's not for the faint at heart especially if you do not have any construction experience. The minimum lot size would be within the zoning resolution for your local municipality.   

Thanks Jared,

I will do that. I have been researching the county regs and read about the zoning and the statement of minimum lot size being 1-1/2 times the size of a single family lot. I will look for an architect that does Multifamily in snohomish county.

Thanks again  

Hey Dean, We have done a few projects in Snohomish (both city and county). There are a lot of moving pieces, but I would be happy to talk about what we can do to help you with this venture. We can talk about your experience and our process, as well as what you can expect from the jurisdictions. 

Feel free to IM me here.

Originally posted by @James Wesley :

@Dean Johnson Start with the cheaper route and go to the city planning department or county planning commission, depending on the jurisdiction. They'll help you get on your way and even look at a particular parcel with you.

I always find it interesting when people recommend against utilizing an architect or engineer due to cost. The saying goes don't be a penny wise but pound foolish. Even if he were to attain this information from the planning department, the poster does not seem familiar with building or construction, therefore will not know were to go from there. He's going to need someone to help..    

Originally posted by @Jared W Smith :
Originally posted by @James Wesley:

@Dean Johnson Start with the cheaper route and go to the city planning department or county planning commission, depending on the jurisdiction. They'll help you get on your way and even look at a particular parcel with you.

I always find it interesting when people recommend against utilizing an architect or engineer due to cost. The saying goes don't be a penny wise but pound foolish. Even if he were to attain this information from the planning department, the poster does not seem familiar with building or construction, therefore will not know were to go from there. He's going to need someone to help..    

I was a City Planner and that's their role to support folks with initial permitting and zoning guidance. I am not saying that there's not any value in going to an Architect/Engineer, but my initial questions always go to that Dept first. If I want to dive deeper, then I can contract with an Architect and put money down.