Looking to build a duplex in Snohomish WA

Looking to build a duplex in Snohomish WA

Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Looking to build a Duplex in Snohomish Wa. Looking for advice from minimum lot size to best lenders. Would like advice from anyone who has been down this road.

Thanks

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Architect & Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 78 votes
7y

Hey Dean, We have done a few projects in Snohomish (both city and county). There are a lot of moving pieces, but I would be happy to talk about what we can do to help you with this venture. We can talk about your experience and our process, as well as what you can expect from the jurisdictions. 

Feel free to IM me here.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nick LamagnaPro Member
    Wholesaler · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Awesome!  I’m always looking for opportunities in that area.  My partner grew up there and her family owns a gym. Great area!!!  Congrats on your acquisition 

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks Nick,

    Although I have not made an acquisition yet. I am looking for any information to get  me started towards my first duplex.

  • London · Member since 2019 · 722 posts · 386 votes
    7y

    Lot size and similar should be driven by the local zoning and building regulations. Have you spoken to anyone who is in the construction trade or is an architect? Someone local will know a lot.

  • Jared W SmithBusiness Member
    Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes
    7y

    @Dean Johnson, this topic comes quite often here on BP. You need to make contact with a local architect whom is familiar with working in your jurisdiction and completing residential new builds to walk you through the process. It's not for the faint at heart especially if you do not have any construction experience. The minimum lot size would be within the zoning resolution for your local municipality.   

    Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks Jared,

    I will do that. I have been researching the county regs and read about the zoning and the statement of minimum lot size being 1-1/2 times the size of a single family lot. I will look for an architect that does Multifamily in snohomish county.

    Thanks again  

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 73 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Dean Johnson Start with the cheaper route and go to the city planning department or county planning commission, depending on the jurisdiction. They'll help you get on your way and even look at a particular parcel with you.

  • Architect & Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 78 votes
    7y

    Hey Dean, We have done a few projects in Snohomish (both city and county). There are a lot of moving pieces, but I would be happy to talk about what we can do to help you with this venture. We can talk about your experience and our process, as well as what you can expect from the jurisdictions. 

    Feel free to IM me here.

  • Jared W SmithBusiness Member
    Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wesley:

    @Dean Johnson Start with the cheaper route and go to the city planning department or county planning commission, depending on the jurisdiction. They'll help you get on your way and even look at a particular parcel with you.

    I always find it interesting when people recommend against utilizing an architect or engineer due to cost. The saying goes don't be a penny wise but pound foolish. Even if he were to attain this information from the planning department, the poster does not seem familiar with building or construction, therefore will not know were to go from there. He's going to need someone to help..    

    Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 73 posts · 13 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jared W Smith:
    Originally posted by @James Wesley:

    @Dean Johnson Start with the cheaper route and go to the city planning department or county planning commission, depending on the jurisdiction. They'll help you get on your way and even look at a particular parcel with you.

    I always find it interesting when people recommend against utilizing an architect or engineer due to cost. The saying goes don't be a penny wise but pound foolish. Even if he were to attain this information from the planning department, the poster does not seem familiar with building or construction, therefore will not know were to go from there. He's going to need someone to help..    

    I was a City Planner and that's their role to support folks with initial permitting and zoning guidance. I am not saying that there's not any value in going to an Architect/Engineer, but my initial questions always go to that Dept first. If I want to dive deeper, then I can contract with an Architect and put money down.

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    James and Mike , 

    Thanks for the direction. I will go to the city planner in Sultan to narrow down my options. The upper Skykomish valley is home and I was hoping to start there.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.