Ideas for starting off 16 units or MORE with low capital?

24 Replies

So I'm wondering what are some good ideas if I wanted to start out with 16 units with $40,000 of capital. I'm looking to do the BRRRR Strategy. Very new at this but I just know for sure I want to start off no lower than 16 units if possible.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

@Roddy Walker are you saying you want 16 units because of grant Cardone? If so I’d rethink your strategy

Could you raise enough capital to do multifamily deals? I would start by asking your friends, family, and co-workers in order to raise more capital and considering to partner with someone who has done multifamily deals.

@Roddy Walker there are many ways for you to do that.  

1. Find an owner who will do owner financing 

2. Partner up with someone experienced in larger units

3. Raise capital from investors who prefer to be silent partners.  

Keep in mind, bigger isn't always better. If you have 40k, you can start BRRRR-ing with smaller units to get your money right and gain some solid experience while you're at it. Starting off with 16 units would be a cool story to tell, but there is a much higher risk of failure. Start small. Start smart and THEN get bigger. Sam Zell purchased entire blocks one SF house at a time. If he can start that way and grow his net worth up to 5 billion, you can start that way.

Don’t jump in with the sharks if you’re still learning how to swim.  

@Roddy Walker  I would start with 4 unit properties at a time.  Easier to finance (conventional vs commercial), easier to insure, and to sell.  Get your feet wet and make sure you like the business.  It's not for everyone.  You don't want to buy 16 unit apartment building, realize you hate the business, maintenance, tenants etc, and then be unable to sell it.

- Tom

you need other partners but certainly doable.

I just bought 24 units with $50,000 of my money injected, raised the rest from people I met on BP! 

Also, there is zero chance I could have accomplished that if I didn't have both experience and a track record with SFR first.

Hey, @Roddy Walker - it's certainly possible.  Because of the capital requirements to complete (thinking you need to fund purchase and rehab) you'll need to bring on a partner.  Ultimately you would be looking to purchase a property with low occupancy and more than likely heavy rehab needs, that you would then stabelize in order to refinance your money back out.  Requires a bit of expereince to carry out the business plan on a reposition, so again I would look to find a seasoned operator who you can partner with.

Alternatively, you could look at bridge financincing options. Lenders will want to see a track record here as well.  All the best moving forward!

@Roddy Walker so you have zero experience, $40k that gets you a grand total of a $200k commercial loan and you want to be into a 16 unit building ($10k/door ) for 80% ARV to BRRR it? Where do I sign up for one of those?

Where was this 24 unit located?

Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:

you need other partners but certainly doable.

I just bought 24 units with $50,000 of my money injected, raised the rest from people I met on BP! 

Also, there is zero chance I could have accomplished that if I didn't have both experience and a track record with SFR first.

@Roddy Walker Banks are going to want a personal financial statement and you're likely going to need some additional assets and/or income to meet the required debt service coverage ratio. Closing costs on a commercial loan for us typically run around $5000 including surveys and appraisals. The 'best' COC deal we have done is 12 units (2 deals on the same day) with $20k down. The deal included partial owner financing for the 12.5% of the 25% down payment. The total price for the 4 buildings was just under $220,000. Nine of the units were under $15k each. Major work is needed. We have very strong construction skills, very good credit and large Home Depot credit lines so we will be able to DIY much of the renovation. This deal wouldn't be worthwhile without doing it DIY.

So from personal experience, It is possible to do a large(ish) deal with that amount of money-- but it is hard and risky and requires the ability to manage and renovate low income properties. Good Luck. 

We're still struggling along. We spent the last 2 days doing massive plumbing "repairs" to old galvanized supply lines with one shut off for 7 units. Good TImes!

@Caleb Heimsoth That was the first thing i thought of, Grant Cardone lol. He has scaled back on his recent's and if my ears were't broken i think he once gave advice on a 4 unit. I think my ears were broken though

But yea find a partner that can balance the equity you need, or find an investment you can leverage with your current position of capital.

@Roddy Walker

Not to be harsh but you need to learn to walk before you can run. If you are fresh to real estate and want to jump in and buy multi family without any experience is like my son wanting a Rolls Royce as his first car. Don’t get sucked into all this hoopla that RE is easy and passive. Educate yourself on how to analyze deals, find a partner with track record and start on small deals or go completely passive and go into someone else’s deal for a small return on your money.

@Roddy Walker, you should gain experience before managing such a big scale. I was advised to do single family homes and multi family to get experience. Learn from any mistakes and know how to manage. My plan even and numbers are planned with this in mind.

Learn first before getting so many units. Then with more experience the more potential there is.

A person doesn't jump in the water believing they will swim, they learn.

Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

@Roddy Walker are you saying you want 16 units because of grant Cardone? If so I’d rethink your strategy

My first MF property was a 16 unit acquired about a year ago.  I was learning and binge watching BP, Kiyosaki and Cardone so I guess I drank the cool aid LOL!.  In California, 16 units and up requires an on site manager, which is an extra cost but provides  eyes and ears on the property and keeps it maintained.  I do have MF properties in the 14-15 unit range and there is a slight difference in property management and maintenance.

That said, that first 16 unit was the best decision I made and am glad I listened to him a year ago.  It was a value add play and with all the work complete, will be selling it soon.  Cash flow is there but with nearly a $1 million to be made net before taxes, would like to trade up to larger deals.  The power of the # of units multiplying the value is very true.  Cardone has his style but alot of what he says has truths.

Originally posted by @Johnson Best:

@Alexander Felice

What happen if some people want to sale early?

How you minimize disputes?

good question,

everyone knows the exit strategy going in. I don't have any partners who are hard up for the cash, and I wouldn't take on anyone who was relying on the cash flow for their well being. This was my first MF deal, everyone knows that, everyone on the deal has aligned long term goals.

Disputes I'm not too worried about, I'm good at managing expectations and I communicate clearly and frequently. 

That said, the way the voting rights are set up ultimately everyone is along for the ride regardless if they start fussing ;) ;) 

I suggest starting smaller with a small amount of capital because to reposition at MF you will need cash to invest on rehab and upgrade of each unit. Figure at least $10K+ per unit and more if the systems (HVAC, roof, plumbing, etc.) need upgrading. Plus you should budget a contingency amount for emergencies, vacancies, moving out "pain in the a" tenants, etc.