Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Michael Ealy
  • Developer
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Is "Stupid" Money Chasing Millennials in Your Market?

Michael Ealy
  • Developer
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Jul 30 2019, 11:02

Have you heard of the expression "stupid money"? It is when a herd of investors or speculators seem to be overpaying for an asset.

In my market in Cincinnati and I guess almost everywhere in the country, "stupid money" seems to be overpaying for apartment buildings. We've seen cap rates drop several basis points in a short span of time.

At first, I thought "stupid money" is really dumb - overpaying for buildings but...it seems that it's not "stupid" at all. Money is flowing into apartment buildings because it seems Millennials across the country are now preferring to rent long term vs. buy. 

In my local market, I've seen movement of people from the suburbs back into the city as well.

Keep in mind some of that "stupid money" is from institutional investors and private equity firms with full time acquisition analysts and market experts (not newbies like here on BP). For example, a lot of them paid 9% cap for buildings in C areas in Cincinnati less than 5 years ago and the cap rates are now 6-7%. 

Crazy!

Have you seen this in your local market as well? "Stupid money" chasing the Millennials' trend to rent apartments as a long term housing solution vs. buying?

If so, share it here. Also, if you are, share how you are making money from apartment buildings today.

If I get quite a few responses, I might share how I make money with apartment buildings today...even if I seem to be "overpaying" for them.

Loading replies...