Best Multifamily Books?

20 Replies

Hello BP family!!

I’m just starting out and finally decided to focus on small Multifamily properties!!

What are your best and favorite small Multifamily book suggestions!!

Thank you and have a great day!!

Michelle

Hey Michelle!

I have to agree with @Alina Trigub. There are SO many great books out there. However, below I've provided a list of my top 5 favorites:

1. "Multi-Family Millions: How Anyone Can Reposition Apartments for Big Profits" by David Lindhal
  2. "Crushing it in Apartments And Commercial Real Estate: How a Small Investor Can Make It Big" by Brian Murphy
  3. "The Book On Rental Property Investing" by Brandon Turner
  4. "What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures" by Frank Gallinelli 
  5. "Aggressive Tax Avoidance for Real Estate Investors: How to Make Sure You Aren't Paying One More Cent in Taxes Than The Law Requires" by John T. Reed

These books will give you a solid understanding of sound investment principles which you can use to build your multi-family portfolio. Good luck on your real estate investing journey and feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

All the best,

This is a must read.....The ABCs of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss (Rich Dad's Advisors)
Goodluck!
Stevan Garcia

@Michelle Kessler   "Emerging Real Estate Markets", "Multifamily Millions", "Crushing it in Apartments", "The Best Ever Apartment Syndication Book", "Wheel Barrow Profits" and Michael Blank has a good one as well

@Michelle Kessler there are several great books out there.

1. The best ever apartment syndication book. Joe Fairless 

2.  Micheal Blank, Grant Cardone, Frank Gallinori,  Ken McElroy, are some other multifamily authors. 

Happy hunting 

My 4 recommendations:

1. Financial Freedom with Real Estate Investing: The Blueprint to Quitting Your Job with Real Estate - Even Without Experience or Cash by Michael Blank
  2. How to Make Big Money in Small Apartments by Lance Edwards
  3. Commercial Real Estate Investing for Dummies by Peter Conti and Peter Harris
  4. The Book on Rental Property Investing: How to Create Wealth and Passive Income Through Smart Buy & Hold Real Estate Investing by Brandon Turner
Originally posted by @Michelle Kessler :

Hello BP family!!

I’m just starting out and finally decided to focus on small Multifamily properties!!

What are your best and favorite small Multifamily book suggestions!!

Thank you and have a great day!!

Michelle

Michelle,

Read a number of books or other sources of info. 

One thing that will stand out is the rules plus best practice for 1-4 unit properties are different than 5 or more units on 1 title. Residential property which can be owner occupied, not required to be, vs commercial property which can never be owner occupied is the basis of the difference.

I am not saying you should go small or go large. Just there is a dramatic difference. 

My Favorites:

Multifamily Millions by Dave Lindahl

The ABCs of Real Estate Investing by Ken McElroy

The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings by Steve Berges

Commercial Real Estate Investing by Dolf De Roos

Trump: The Best Real Estate Advice I Ever Received by Donald Trump

Tax Free Wealth by Tom Wheelwright

Commercial Real Estate 101: How Small Investors Can Get Started and Make It Big by David Lindahl

Raising Private Capital: Building Your Real Estate Empire Using Other People’s Money by Matt Faircloth

The Definitive Guide to Apartment Marketing by Josh Grillo

Investing in Apartment Building by Matthew Martinez

Crushing It in Apartments and Commercial Real Estate by Brian H Murray

The 7 Secrets to Successful Apartment Leasing by Eric Cumley

2 Years to a Million in Real Estate by Matthew Martinez

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge Newbery

Commercial Mortgages 101: Everything You Need to Know to Create a Winning Loan Request by Michael Reinhard

It’s a Whole New Business!: The how-to book of syndicated investment real estate by Gene Trowbridge

I think all RE-specific books have been covered here well (was Real Estate Rental Growth at Different Points in the Physical Market Cycle article mentioned?  This one goes into the Real Estate Cycle, and interesting concept to understand).  

Outside of pure real estate books, you may want to consider the following business books as well:

1. Warren Buffett's annual letters, especially those after 1977.  Lots of good advice relevant to real estate there (you may just have to squint a little!)  They are all free here.
  2. Dance of the Money Bees - goes into the stock market manic mentality, on how markets swarm up and down, clearly applicable to the RE market as well.
  3. Guide to Dividend Investing - the thought process is identical to cash-flow producing properties, where the cash flow is the dividend!

I would also recommend looking into podcasts! There are several. I find that podcasts have more practical examples/learnings and you are also able to reach out to the guests host via email post if you have any follow-up questions. A good majority of podcast guests respond to specific questions as a follow-up to their interview. It's also a good way to fostering relationships!