Small Multi-family Utilities!

5 Replies

Hey guys, I am a new land lord house hacking a triplex. How should we handle the utilities? we are all on separate power meters but the rest is all combined to include a dumpster. 
Can I have all utilities in my name and then legally charge the tenants a % of the total bill each month?

@Samuel Fletcher Hardy just add it into their rent you’ll have a hard time getting them to pay that in top of their rent believe me been there and done that just add a base amount to the rent and your life will be much simpler because not everybody is using he same amount of utilities and people will complain.

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now

Call the utility company and they should be able to tell you how much the utlities run during the deepest part of winter and you should be able to get a baseline from there. If the gas bill runs 200$ divide that by 3 or however you want to do it. I'm not the best but it works for me so far. im sure someone else can break it down better than I can