Finding Syndications to Partner With

10 Replies

My partner and I are moving to Kentucky to begin syndicating apartments in Lexington and Covington (or Cincinnati). Because we won't move until November/December, networking with the local REIA isn't feasible. Do you have any suggestions on how to find and connect with syndicators in that area?

Our goal is to find a C class deal (10-40 units) and bring money for the purchase and rehab to another syndicator's table. We would prefer to have someone experienced on board for our first deal - and potentially many more if we like the relationship. 

We have hands on experience in property management, rehabs, and deal finding - but are looking to scale. I am a businesswoman and salesperson, and my partner is an engineer. We have a strong network of high net worth individuals.  

@Frances Buerkens It sounds like you have the background, resources and ability to go big. Why not focus on larger properties?

As for your question, you may be able to find some investor networks on facebook and linkedin to connect with prior to the move.

@Greg Dickerson Thanks for the encouraging words! 

We do have the resources to go big - but working with engineers (aka aerospace engineers) as investors leads to a unique view point of risk. It's okay to take risk, but it must be thoroughly quantified. 

Our lack of experience with apartments leads us to believe that doing a smaller deal will allow us to use it as a hardened proof of concept before leaping into bigger deals. We believe (accurately or otherwise) that doing a small deal and partnering with an experienced syndicator in this sector will enable us to better identify and mitigate risk. What would you do in our shoes?

BTW, I grew up playing St Anne's Bellfield (STAB) lacrosse team. We usually walloped them despite being the "redneck kids" from Lexington/Rockbridge County. Important stuff, I know! :)

Originally posted by @Frances Buerkens :

@Greg Dickerson Thanks for the encouraging words! 

We do have the resources to go big - but working with engineers (aka aerospace engineers) as investors leads to a unique view point of risk. It's okay to take risk, but it must be thoroughly quantified. 

Our lack of experience with apartments leads us to believe that doing a smaller deal will allow us to use it as a hardened proof of concept before leaping into bigger deals. We believe (accurately or otherwise) that doing a small deal and partnering with an experienced syndicator in this sector will enable us to better identify and mitigate risk. What would you do in our shoes?

BTW, I grew up playing St Anne's Bellfield (STAB) lacrosse team. We usually walloped them despite being the "redneck kids" from Lexington/Rockbridge County. Important stuff, I know! :)

I understand engineers, I work with them all the time including one rocket scientist so I get it.

The smaller class C deals are actually more risky the bigger nicer properties so this hat I do and would do in your shoes.

Small world. You've definitely taken the butt kicken to a whole new level. Not many Aerospace engineers are coming out of STAB.

I would be happy to discuss more in depth if you'd like to shoot me a PM.

@Frances Buerkens

If you're looking to scale, and sounds like you have the experience and the financial resources, then consider building a team of professionals to support you. Also, 10 units is not scaling. Go bigger! 

If you're looking to connect with sponsors who syndicate locally PM me and I'll make the intro.

Originally posted by @Frances Buerkens :

My partner and I are moving to Kentucky to begin syndicating apartments in Lexington and Covington (or Cincinnati). Because we won't move until November/December, networking with the local REIA isn't feasible. Do you have any suggestions on how to find and connect with syndicators in that area?

Our goal is to find a C class deal (10-40 units) and bring money for the purchase and rehab to another syndicator's table. We would prefer to have someone experienced on board for our first deal - and potentially many more if we like the relationship. 

We have hands on experience in property management, rehabs, and deal finding - but are looking to scale. I am a businesswoman and salesperson, and my partner is an engineer. We have a strong network of high net worth individuals.  

Your cost structure will be out of whack when doing 10-40 units syndications. In other words, legal / accounting and other costs will be too high relative to the amount of cash flow/profit you will be able to generate i.e. financial risk management will not be optimal.

@Frances Buerkens , the best way to find experienced syndicators is to go to multifamily seminars that are being offered all over the country. Seems like there's one you can go to every month. At these events you will find a team of experienced operators, as well as guys who are passive. Join FB Multifamily groups. There are a ton of those out there as well. You can make some valuable connections right online, while sipping your coffee. Hopefully this helps. Good luck

@Tj Hines I like coffee and I like networking. 

I'm on the road 90% of the time for the next 5 months, but that will drop off this winter. (Thank goodness....) I'm interested in short-term networking potential while travel dominates my life. MF Facebook groups sound promising - and can be done from the airport!