• Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Appraisal value for HVAC vs window unit

Jeff Williams
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh, NC
Posted Oct 8 2019, 12:13

Any one have input one experience with the appraisal value of residence with window units vs. HVAC? My wife and I are in process of purchasing a Quadplex built in 1940s and currently has baseboard electric heat, and window a/c units. When it gets appraised, will it be much lower because of this? Will in benefit to change everything over to central HVAC? I am pretty sure I have heard on a podcast that as long as it is renting out, don't worry about changing. This might be true, but just wondering how the appraisal might look? 

User Stats

Votes
Jaysen Medhurst
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Greenwich, CT
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Greenwich, CT
Replied Oct 8 2019, 14:09

@Jeff Williams, I think the impact will be minimal and you likely won't get your money back (in terms of appreciation) by converting to HVAC.

Who owns and maintains the window A/Cs? You or the tenant?

Might be worth considering moving everything to mini splits. Will class up the property. That along with "central A/C" may command higher rents

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Williams
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Oct 8 2019, 14:32

@Jaysen Medhurst

Property owner owns window units. I agree with classing it up. Just curious what the appraisal difference would be?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes
Account Closed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Oct 8 2019, 15:10

@Jeff Williams usually the adjustment on a house under $300k for central air versus no ac is $2-5k.