Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Michael Ealy
  • Developer
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Investing "Rules" and Times You Violated them and Made Money!

Michael Ealy
  • Developer
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Oct 15 2019, 08:37

There are so many real estate investing "rules" that seem to work a lot of times but following them "blindly" will make you lose out and overlook a ton of investing opportunities.

For example, I've heard of the rule that says "Buy only based on actuals" which means you calculate the current or actual NOI, divide that by the market cap rate and you buy only up to that number.

If I followed that rule, I probably won't be a multi millionaire today because I would have missed out on a ton of million dollar profit deals. Deals like this:

...96-unit building that made me over $1.2 Million profit in just 3 years

This building was non-performing with low occupancy (60%) when I acquired it. If I bought it based on actual NOI, I should have paid less than $1M for it. Instead I acquired it for $1.45M. In fact, someone else has offered $1.5M or $50,000 more than me but because of my reputation, the seller preferred to deal with me.

I put in $700,000 in renovation and increased the rents from $500-$550/unit to an average of $679 per unit.

I sold the building 3 years later for $3.5 Million.

Another "rule" that I violated and made money anyway is "Properties in bad areas don't appreciate". I bought a 20-unit apartment once in Over the Rhine and paid $200,000 for it. A few years later I sold it for $400,000.

What about you?

What Investing Rules have you violated and yet you made money?

Loading replies...