Am I purchasing duplex for too much? Montclair CA

3 Replies

Im in escrow for a duplex in Montclair CA. Id be living in 1 and renting the other. I just had my inspection done on the property and its in need of a complete overhaul. From living room, kitchen, bathroom, plumbing, electrical, and roof within 5 years of so. 

Offer was accepted at $420k and renovations are estimate at $50k. When doing the math, i'd be purchasing a property in need of alot of work at $312 / sq ft. while comp properties sold within past 60 days (which are in better shape) at $266-$290 per sq ft. 

This would be my first investment property. The duplex is 1344 sq ft on a 7720 sq ft. its zoned for up to 6 units and all the properties on the block have 4 to 6 units on them. My mortgage when accounting for principle, interest, tax, and insurance, including PMI is $2250. Market rent for 1 bed 1 bath is $1250. Therefore i see potential in this property.

But is there something I am not seeing? I don't have a mentor so I'm pretty much figuring things out as I go. Any advice is welcome, i want to make sure my first experience is a good one!

Thank you all in advance

This is not likely to be a good investment, @Daniel Higuera . Where do you see the potential?

Max rent after you move out is $2500, you're PITI is $2250 (I actually think your payment will be ~$200 more). That leaves only $250/month to cover vacancy, repairs, CapEx, management, water/sewer, lawn care, and administrative costs. You'll never cash flow. You're going to lose money on this each month, probably $600-700/month.

Plus it needs $50k of work and you're probably overpaying by ~$60k.

I would echo the no on this one. At $420k, really $470 k (or more) after repairs, I would need much more in rent to justify the outlay.  If you have accurate data in terms of per sq foot cost, it’s not even remotely a good deal even for the area. 

Drop this one and keep looking, you will find something better. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here