Syndication/Multi-Family Organization Charts

7 Replies

My team is working to develop an organizational chart for our multi-family/capital raising businesses. We've got a good start but I'm hoping to leverage what others are using. Anybody willing to share their structure?

@Chris Virgil-Stone what current roles do you have down? Some people syndicate deals by themselves, other people work with a few and some have massive teams to close a lot of deals. It really depends on what your specific goals are and how you want to achieve them.

Hi Danny,

Currently it's just me and a partner, though we may bring on additional team members or partner where it makes sense. I couldn't imagine trying to syndicate by yourself without prior experience or working full-time in it. For the syndication model we currently have the roles below. Some of these roles blend together but by separating them out we can be more specific to the role description and tasks each role entails. Also, we are trying to think long-term and hiring employees with a specific (but open-ended) role will be much easier if we define that role early on. Obviously, we will each have to fill many hats and will likely have input in each role.I appreciate any feedback or suggestions!

1. Asset Manager

2. Capital Raise Lead 

3. Investor Relations Lead

4. Deal finder(s)

5. Underwriter

6. Due diligence Lead

7. Financial Reporting/General Accounting

8. Procurement/Vendor relations

@Chris Virgil-Stone

As you said, some of these roles do have an overlap and hence if you still plan to separate them out, I suggest have one report into other. For instance, Asset Manager would oversee the overall process but have Procurement/Vendor Relations and Financial Reporting/Accounting people report into them.

Also, you will benefit from reading the books about the syndications as a business. Two of the most common ones are: "it's a whole new business" and "best ever syndication book".

@Chris Virgil-Stone are you looking to hire people for each individual spot? If so, you're probably going to have to end up extensively training each individual you hire. I would suggest, for your org chart, you or your partner focusing solely on that, while the other one continues to focus on finding/closing deals. Hiring, training, and maintaining that many employees is going to require a "COO" type person which is a career by itself. You don't want to both focus on it and have the business suffer.

Chris,
Aside from reading about the securities laws, it is also essential to fully understand how a particular asset class is operated. So if it's MFH, you should read about that as well. 

Originally posted by @Chris Virgil-Stone :

Thank you for the suggestions @Alina Trigub. I've read "Best Ever Apartment Syndication Book" but haven't checked out "It's a Whole New Business" yet but I will!

Thank you for the feedback @Lucas Miller . We will be filling all of the roles for now and may explore taking on additional partners as necessary. We're following the guidance of the "E-Myth" and want to clearly define the structure of our business.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here