Canadian Investing in US Multifamily Syndication

11 Replies

I'm looking to communicate with individuals who have experience/knowledge of Canadians investing in a US multifamily syndications. I'm looking for tax implications/benefits ETC.

@Reed Goossens would be a great guy to talk with. He hosts the Investing in the US podcast and just put out a book on that topic. All of my investors are US Citizens so I haven't had to go through the process for non US investors yet.

Hey there Account Closed.

I live in Ottawa and invest in South Bend, IN. I'm in the SFR market and have acquired about 30 doors. Feel free to connect if you want to chat. I also PMd you with the contact information for Marc Dupuis, Simple Acquisitions. He lives in Ottawa as well and does syndications in the US in several markets. I'm confident that he can help you.

@Hai Loc

https://dilendorf.com/resources/why-canadians-should-avoid-llcs-when-buying-u-s-real-estate.html

Just from an article I read. I’m getting as familiar as I can with the topic before I consult a specialized CPA $$.

How is the LLC structured that they refer to in the attached article that would result in double taxation?

Thanks for you help.

Account Closed

We work with a number of international investors and some Canadian ones. We have 2 accountants that we can introduce you to that will be able to assist you with setting up entities and tax advice. PM me.

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

I'm looking to communicate with individuals who have experience/knowledge of Canadians investing in a US multifamily syndications. I'm looking for tax implications/benefits ETC.

Hi Dylan, I am looking to get started on Syndicated deals and was hoping you can guide me on the first few steps. Can you advise on how to find Syndicated deals? Are there brokers who help out or is it limited to an informal market. I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide. 

CPI Capital has developed a tax efficient, compliant project specific fund of fund structure to allow our Canadian investors to participate in our US multifamily investment opportunities and be relieved from double taxation. More than happy to answer any questions. 

Account Closed

There are added complexities when invest in the US as a foreigner. 

The syndication will ask you to complete form W-9 which tells the sponsor your tax status with the US. You will correctly complete that you are a foreigner. 

As a result of this status, the sponsor will be required to make withholdings on your behalf when the entity earns income.
This is to force you to file a US tax return where you may claim the taxes as a refund(if the sponsor over withheld).