High property taxes in Chester county, SC?

High property taxes in Chester county, SC?

Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 19 votes

I own 6 duplexes - class C properties (12 units in total). I recently received a tax bill for one of the duplexes for $2500 and the other 5 duplexes for $11,000. Each duplex is probably only worth about $70,000. I’m confused as to why the tax rate seems so high for these classes C properties in this rural community. Do I have a case for an appeal or is this how taxes are calculated in less dense areas? Zip is 29706. Thanks.

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 67 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    @Russell Buxton

    Hey Russell, seek out a local Tax Attorney. They specialize in this stuff and can tell you pretty quick if you have a case and can appeal it or not. Especially since each county could be different in the details.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte NC · Member since 2019 · 306 posts · 183 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Russell Buxton:

    I own 6 duplexes - class C properties (12 units in total). I recently received a tax bill for one of the duplexes for $2500 and the other 5 duplexes for $11,000. Each duplex is probably only worth about $70,000. I’m confused as to why the tax rate seems so high for these classes C properties in this rural community. Do I have a case for an appeal or is this how taxes are calculated in less dense areas? Zip is 29706. Thanks.

     Russell, I hope all is well. I live in Charlotte NC. 

    South Carolina has a tax rate of 6% for an investment property anywhere and is always recalculated when you purchased it. If you think it's too high I would try to appeal it with an attorney. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.