Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Resa D.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Votes |
How bad is my tenant? Should I be doing more for her?

Resa D.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Posted Jun 4 2020, 18:15

I have a 2 story house that I have divided into 4 units. Unit A - long term tenants unfurnished Unit B, C, D - furnished rooms with a shared kitchen - renting to short term professionals.

First off, I have had great tenants in Unit A for 10 months. No issues at all. I have my furnished units rented to traveling nurses. I found my first nursing tenant dead in her room on her checkout day. Thankfully her sister was there and able to help expedite that situation.

My second nursing tenant is my problem tenant. Asked me why I have a house keeper come every week, some hooks would be nice in her bedroom, oh! And some shelves too...

ok. No problem, I’ll work on that. Then I text her that my electrician is coming and she says she “sure wishes” he could put some shelves in her closet... So she wants to convert from her short term lease to a long term lease. I lay out the new lease terms:

Rent $550 (she was at a promotion rate of $500 for 2 months - regular price $600/mo)

Full security deposit of $600

Terminate lease for $275 with 30 days notice

6mo lease

I don’t hear back from her but do see a Facebook post from her about California landlords being greedy, she can’t get a break etc.

I then decide that I don’t want to do long term rentals and give her 30day notice to vacate. No she is accusing me of not being Christian and for turning off the internet (city wide outage.)

Is there something I’m doing wrong or is this a normal horror tenant?

Loading replies...