Hey Bigger Pockets Community,
I'm very interested in learning about multi-family investing and accelerating my education. The Wheelbarrow Profits Academy costs $20K. Is that the best way to engage the Jake and Gino community? I'd be curious to get feedback from anyone who has recently paid this fee and joined the program. Are there less expensive ways to get access that are still effective? I'd love to understand the options and the pros and cons.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Uri.
I've been a part of the group for over a year now, Uri, and it's been absolutely fantastic.
The educational program is top-notch, no doubt, but for me, when I joined, it was all about the access to the network of like-minded, vetted individuals who are there to do deals and make it happen.
I've always been frustrated by local meet-up groups and networking events where the majority of people (because the events are typically free) are tire kickers. Yes, joining J & G is expensive, but everybody's paid the fee and put skin in the game. It elevates the level of commitment and professionalism of the group as a whole.
I explored all the other educational groups out there before finally settling on J & G because they felt the least "cultish" and the most like a "family". The community leader, Josh Roosen, really goes out of his way to make you feel connected.
And that's the real value of the group at the end of the day: They are committed to your success.
A little about my track-record, since joining the group last year I've done:
1) acquired 80 units ($7mm in assets) across 2 syndications and 1 joint venture
2) Launched a podcast (Multifamily Investing Made Simple)
3) Will be publishing a book (Passive Investing Made Simple) in June. Full disclosure on that, I'm writing and publishing that alongside Jake and Gino.
Now, I had a good amount of experience before joining the group, so I was probably further ahead than most, but there are plenty of guys and gals in the group who are starting from square one and through the relationships they establish in the group, the get their first deal done way quicker than they ever imagined.
But like all things in life, Uri, you get out of the group what you put in.
Hope that helps! Feel free to DM me if you want to hop on a call and discuss further.
I do not know anything about the program you are speaking about. I have taken parts of the Michael Blank program and found it very educational. Listen to his podcast and you will get a feel for the program.
Hi @Uri Frodis I'm in the Jake & Gino program. I'll start off by saying yes that sounds expensive and kept me from joining for a bit. I had to use the ole Rich Dad Poor Dad mindset, "its not I can't afford it but HOW can I afford it." Looking back that was still the best real estate decision I've ever made. I would have paid $100k because the massive and never-ending value that community/family gives is incredible to say the least. It's more about investing in your education to leverage your life to help others. I did a lot of homework on all the programs out there just like you are now. I picked J&G because they were humble and actually cared about me. The education, networking, coaches, events, podcasts, masterminds, etc is exactly what I needed. When you think of it like that ....what's $20k?
If you or anyone else would like to DM me I'd be happy to talk more. Also no I'm not getting anything to say all this, I'm just a student of the Jake & Gino Family.
I've been a part of the group for over a year now, Uri, and it's been absolutely fantastic.
The educational program is top-notch, no doubt, but for me, when I joined, it was all about the access to the network of like-minded, vetted individuals who are there to do deals and make it happen.
I've always been frustrated by local meet-up groups and networking events where the majority of people (because the events are typically free) are tire kickers. Yes, joining J & G is expensive, but everybody's paid the fee and put skin in the game. It elevates the level of commitment and professionalism of the group as a whole.
I explored all the other educational groups out there before finally settling on J & G because they felt the least "cultish" and the most like a "family". The community leader, Josh Roosen, really goes out of his way to make you feel connected.
And that's the real value of the group at the end of the day: They are committed to your success.
A little about my track-record, since joining the group last year I've done:
1) acquired 80 units ($7mm in assets) across 2 syndications and 1 joint venture
2) Launched a podcast (Multifamily Investing Made Simple)
3) Will be publishing a book (Passive Investing Made Simple) in June. Full disclosure on that, I'm writing and publishing that alongside Jake and Gino.
Now, I had a good amount of experience before joining the group, so I was probably further ahead than most, but there are plenty of guys and gals in the group who are starting from square one and through the relationships they establish in the group, the get their first deal done way quicker than they ever imagined.
But like all things in life, Uri, you get out of the group what you put in.
Hope that helps! Feel free to DM me if you want to hop on a call and discuss further.
Disclaimer: I am a part of the Wheelbarrow Profits Jake & Gino Program as a Student. I do not work for them. I joined in June of 2020.
@Uri Frodis, I can honestly tell you it's been the smartest move I've made so far in my real estate journey. If you search these forums and the FB group, you'll find no shortage of people who don't believe in coaches, mentors or professional guidance in their business. While it is totally true you can make it own your own, the question becomes can you afford to (cost of mistakes), how fast are you looking to move without guidance/connections, and do you value being in a community with like-minded people actually making it happen? Ask any successful business owner if they eventually got guidance in how to take their business to the next level. The answer is almost always "yes." Often you can find most of the education/knowledge for free, but the issue is a lot of people don't know what to do with it and fail to take action. That's where these programs really help. The education in the platform is first-class and allows you to have many tools in your tool belt.
There are a lot of coaches and gurus out there selling false hopes and opportunities. Some have lots of rules and regulations and are only in it for the education fees. You need to make sure you're doing your due-diligence with these programs. Before I joined, I definitely did (had 4 interviews with Josh & Dillion of J&G). I joined J&G for a lot of the same reasons already mentioned, but the biggest one was I felt that they were genuinely interested in my success as a student. They understand that the long-term success of their program is 100% determined by the success of their students. Just because you have the funds to join, it doesn't mean the program is right for you. They do serious due-diligence on each student and their goals so they just aren't taking peoples hard earned money and setting them up to be disappointed and fail. You can see the difference as soon as you get in the program - I was genuinely shocked how helpful everyone was in the program and how the students all seem to lift each other up. Someone who's ahead of you is always willing to help.
At the beginning of 2020 I was looking at SFH to rent/flip. By the end of the year I had two skilled partners (and many more experienced investors interested in working with me/us) I met in the group. We have been actively submitting offers and competing with confidence on B/C class assets that are 50-150 units during the pandemic with guidance from the community and coaches. We have our team lined up and are ready to go, and we are adding value to the real estate community through our website, meetup, podcast, and educational content we share internally within the community we learn through continuous education/experience. Never thought I'd be in this position at the beginning of 2020, so I thank the program and community for propelling me to step outside my comfort zone to THINK BIG. It's not just about the Xs and Os; mindset is the key to success in this business.
I'm happy to answer any specific questions or share my experience further- feel free to DM me. I'll echo what @Anthony Vicino said: If you're not willing to be patient and put in the hard work, you aren't going to be successful no matter which coaching program you're in. You get what you put in, period.
Thanks, Larry Lemer. I've added Michael Blank's podcast to my library and will have a listen. I appreciate the tip!!
Thank you, Nick Sheveland, Anthony Vicino, Brian Alfaro. I am very grateful for the effort each of you made in your response. Collectively (and individually), you guys make a very compelling case for the J&G community. I would be thrilled to take you up on your kind offers to speak in person, so I'll DM you.
Thanks again!
@Uri Frodis, I'll start with a disclaimer that I am a member of the Jake & Gino community. I joined for a number of reasons; education being a small part but gaining access to a well established network of like-minded, high performers in the multifamily world was far more important to me.
I would say my situation is unique or special but I'm sure it is more common than I know. Before I joined I was trying to carry my multifamily goal by myself, I thought the only way I could get into multifamily was to have enough money to buy a property on my own so I was trying everything I could think of but ended up just spinning my wheels. For a time I was looking at duplexes but found the only thing I could afford were abandoned properties in or near the worst areas of town, after that defeat I started looking for properties on the MLS to flip but because I needed financing I couldn't compete with cash buyers. When I realized that I pivoted to a direct mail campaign to try and develop my own flip leads or start wholesaling. In the middle of the direct mail campaign our second child was born and it became clear that I wouldn't be able to devote the time needed to work my full-time W-2, build a flipping business (with the goal of saving enough money to buy an apartment), and raise 2 kids.
Everything I had done up to that point was for the single goal of getting into apartments but I realized all I was doing was wasting time. At one point I ran into a member of the Jake and Gino community at a local meetup and learned that he was able to purchase an apartment out of state without using only his money so I inquired about his experience and opened a line of communication. It didn't take long before I knew that joining would be the right decision for me and my situation. I needed to fill some important holes in my arsenal and the investment to join the community would allow me to fill these holes far quicker than I could do on my own.
I knew I would be able to get the knowledge from a plethora of places. Books, videos, blogs, and podcasts are all viable options but how much time would I need to devote to this and how much conflicting information is out there? I didn't know what I didn't know but I knew that if I was able to join with a group of high-performers who have a proven track record and top systems in place I would be able to replicate what they have done and expedite my business.
The knowledge part was only one aspect of what I was missing. A far larger hole was my lack of network. I didn't have the necessary vendors and I didn't have the potential partners or investors I knew I would need. With the job, and family at home, I questioned how much time I would have available to build this part of my business and how long it would take me. I realized it would be much quicker if I could get access to a well established network.
That all being said, joining a group is not the magic bullet. Work still needs to be done and it is up to the individual. Success doesn't come on a silver platter but it can be accelerated by being close to the right people. There are cheaper ways to get what you would get by joining the program but what is that cost? How long will it take to build out the systems you need to reach your goals. In business, time is a cost so what is your cost of time?
Feel free to DM me and I'd be happy to set up a time to chat and I can answer more of your questions if you have them.
How does a person find out more about wheelbarrel profits? Or how do I join a group like Jack and Gino?
@Uri Frodis, I too will start this post by stating that I am a member of the Wheelbarrow profits community. I am not incentivized by them so I can be forthcoming with my experience and provide you with my honest feedback about the community.
My journey towards multifamily investing started like most of this community, listening to and reading Bigger Pockets content religiously. Whenever they brought on a guest who was crushing it, the common denominator was always the idea of mentorship. Whether gained through paid mentorship or an organic relationship, success always leaves clues.
My current W2 is an Emergency Room Nurse in San Francisco. In January I began my search for the right mentorship program. Working through the pandemic, seeing colleagues get sick and lose their lives because they contracted COVID-19 was a wake up call for me to take this journey to the next level. Fast forward to October 2020, I realized that the next logical step for myself and my family was to join Wheelbarrow Profits. The decision to do so felt right and I knew right then and there that I just made a key decision to create a new future for myself and my loved ones. I knew that it was the right decision because of one thing, they value the success of their students and their community. Period. A win for you, is a win for them, because your growth is theirs as well. They epitomize the abundance mindset by sharing their knowledge, throwing the rope down to you and pushing you towards success.
Spending money on a mentorship program, especially in the BP community, isn’t always the most popular idea. But you have to ask yourself what your goals are and what is your timeline? WBP is filled with amazing resources, likeminded individuals, one of a kind coaches and that all comes from the values of the community. The community in itself is worth the price of admission! If there’s one thing I’ve learned in my short time as a multifamily investor, it’s that proximity is power. The people you surround yourself with will either propel you or hinder you, the choice is ultimately yours to make. The members of WBP are filled with go getters and go givers, because of them I have achieved more in my young multifamily journey that I ever thought possible.
If you have any more questions, you can always DM me or reach me on FB messenger. I’ll be more than happy to answer any other questions you have. I hope this helps!
Hey @Uri Frodis. I am in the J&G community. Joined just over a year ago and it has propelled me into a serious investing career that would have either taken me years or not have happened at all. Back when I signed up, I used my last savings to join; it was scary. How was I going to get into a deal afterward? My current W2 doesn't afford me discretionary income, and I can't save up money like some other people. But the beauty about the Jake and Gino community is - 1) the coursework gives you the knowledge you'll need to be competent in the multifamily space, 2) your coaches give you direction, guidance, support, and strategies for your particular situation, 3) and the community (network) gives you the resources, partnerships and team to execute.
I am free to talk on the phone, zoom, text or email. Reach out and good luck!
Remember, there are different team members needed to run a competent multifamily business. By joining the community, you find your team.
Now, not everyone in the community utilizes the program to the fullest, and that will be on you. You can join and not take advantage of everything and everyone in the program, I have seen that happen and I have seen people not succeed. That is because they end up going a different route or not having the energy and drive necessary to succeed in the multifamily space. But everyone that makes a commitment, and truly utilizes the community, will get accelerate their multifamily journey and begin the path to financial freedom. But remember, if you do nothing with the program, you will get nothing.
@Uri Frodis as you've probably seen there are countless threads on here regarding the many options out there regarding coaching and mentoring programs. My advise to others is typically this - think about what YOU need most on your journey. Is it a formal education framework? Is it an accountability partner or team? Is it leveraging the knowledge and network of others? Think about what you need personally the most to be successful and compare it to the components of each offering.
There are many ways to skin a cat - many of those who were most successful did not go through a larger formal program, but almost always they had a mentor in their corner.
Hi Scott Hall. You can find the Jake and Gino website at jakeandgino.com
@Uri Frodis, I'm a coach with J&G, but I started as a student in 2018. There are tons of educational options for you to choose from and it can be overwhelming. Your range can be from going to your local library for free to spending 90K in some cases. With that said, the J&G team is absolutely committed to over-delivering and it is a great option for a well-rounded and high-quality educational platform bolstered by a world-class community. I'll be happy to jump on a call to give you a peek behind the curtain if you'd like.
Hi @Uri Frodis,
I am also a J&G student and joined in October of 2019. I was coming into the program as a complete novice in this investment niche and real-estate for the most part. I heard about Wheelbarrow Profits podcast on one of Bigger Pockets' posts and started listening to them a few months before I joined the actual program. I loved their energy, honesty and humbleness and decided to reach out to learn more.
My reason for eventually diving in and joining the Academy was to accelerate my education and put some skin in the game. I am one of those people who believes that you value what you pay for much more than what comes to you for free. I wanted to commit to learning as fast as I could and knew that if I put my money on the line, it would be a constant motivation for me to maximize my ROI. Over the years, I have also learned that it is very easy to get lost in the ether of the internet and waste a bunch of time trying to find content to learn from in an organized way. There is so much conflicting information out there. I saw this as an opportunity to learn as fast as I could and told myself that even if I ended up not doing a deal or deciding multifamily isn't for me, at least I would have learned that in a few months instead of spending years figuring it out on my own on the internet.
I spent more than this on my undegrad in college and the price of the academy honestly made sense. There is SO much content, video lessons, resources that took years to put together and it's all organized in a way that allowed for me (someone with zero experience) to learn the theory of multifamily investing in about 6 months. Additionally, there are weekly calls with J&G, coaching calls, bootcamps and events, and an incredible network of fellow students, many of whom have become great friends. I started putting the theory into practice about 8 months ago, setting up partnerships, selecting markets and putting out offers on properties. I am currently an LP on 60-units in Atlanta, a GP on 72-units in Sioux Falls and have a JV deal we are currently under contract on. It took a lot of work, but the journey has been incredible and I wouldn't have done it any other way.
Would be happy to schedule a call/zoom if you'd like to speak further. Feel free to send me a DM anytime.
HI @Uri Frodis,
I started with Jake & Gino back in May 2019 coming from a buy and hold SFH portfolio experience after learning about them from the BP forum. Just like everyone else, my wife and I am looking to scale our portfolio and found that MF would be the fastest way to do it. I can tell you that we have grown so much in our knowledge from the time we join from their education platform mentor and their coaches, but beyond that we feel that our growth has comes also from the community in it. You can argue that you can get an education somewhere else, but without a strong community, you will face an uphill battle in your multifamily journey.
I know for sure that I will never be where I am today without the WBP community as all of our deals have come from either partnership or network with a fellow community member. I also found that fellow community members are so giving that they will support you to make sure that you're not failing and also more than willing to share their experience or knowledge when you posted questions.
The community members are also encouraged to think like an entrepreneur and resulted in many ideas to support other members who just started. We also have smaller pods such as underwriting, women investors, public speaking as the results of the entrepreneurship culture and value that continually being re-emphasized within the community. You might join as an investor, but I know I am also being challenged to grow as a business owner constantly.
As of today, I have involved in more than 6 deals (as both GP and LP) because of the networking within the community and recently close a JV 44 units deal with fellow community members because of the community alone. I hope that my story can help you to see how I value the WBP community in my multifamily journey. it's more than a community to me, it's an extended family.
Happy to jump on the call or zoom. Feel free to DM if you want to email me as well.
Hey @Uri Frodis!
I joined the J&G community at the end of 2018 and can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I've made in my personal/professional life.
While education and information are plentiful in today's age, that doesn't mean it's in a format that best serves you. Having a coach and mentor, as well as a community of like-minded, active multifamily investors, helped tremendously to flatten the learning curve.
With any of these programs, I feel like the leadership and community are key aspects. Jake, Gino, Josh, Dillon, and their entire team are some of the most genuine people I've ever encountered. They truly care about your success, and that mindset is mirrored throughout the community.
From starting with J&G in 2018, I've been able to grow from duplexes and SFR's to over 200 units in my backyard, Austin, without syndication. We're currently closing on another 72 units, which will be our first syndication.
Happy to hop on a call and discuss my experience in-depth!
Hello Uri,
I am Nadiya and I recently joined the community. I am happy to discuss my reasons for joining this particular group (after 18+ months of research!) Feel free to DM me. I am happy to get on a call/zoom call.
@Mack Benson, @Jhae Antoc, @Nico Salgado, @Vince Gethings, @Anna Latysheva, @Hendra Tambunan, @Nicholas Ameluxen, thank you all! I'm amazed by the response and will reach out to as many of you as possible. Clearly, this is a community committed to sharing their experience.
Adding @Nadiya Lakhani to my list of people to thank and reach out to.
@Andre M.
Wondering the same question. I’m based in southern California.
@Andre M., @Allan Gonzaga, based on the conversations I've had with several members of the Jake and Gino community, the community is distributed across the country and getting value from the community wherever they are. The folks I have spoken to have been incredibly generous with their time and willing to help in any way. Amazing! I would be happy to get on the phone and discuss what I have learned. Feel free to DM me.
@Uri Frodis Did you ever wind up joining Wheelbarrow profits? If so how was your experience?
@Uri Frodis I highlly recomand it! about 5 years ago a started Multifamily investing with the Wheelbarrow Profits Academy, @Jake Stenziano and @Gino Barbaro are awesome coaches and down-to-earth people. Their academy is awesome and the community members are a great bunch of people. I have made many friends in the J&G community and many partnerships too.