Alternatives for city sewer for a 12 unit building?

3 Replies

I am about to close on a 1.2 acre lot in Atlanta that I would like to ideally build affordable housing on. My builder and I have sketched out a 12 unit building (three stories high, 4 units per floor). The main drawback I have is that there isn't city sewer. I am going to contact my city council and lobby for sewer to be installed (I realize this is a LONG process) but I also was curious of alternatives to sewer. Is anyone aware of a septic tank system that can handle 12 units? Or another eco-friendly approach? Thanks in advance...Melissa

Originally posted by @Melissa Uppelschoten :

I am about to close on a 1.2 acre lot in Atlanta that I would like to ideally build affordable housing on. My builder and I have sketched out a 12 unit building (three stories high, 4 units per floor). The main drawback I have is that there isn't city sewer. I am going to contact my city council and lobby for sewer to be installed (I realize this is a LONG process) but I also was curious of alternatives to sewer. Is anyone aware of a septic tank system that can handle 12 units? Or another eco-friendly approach? Thanks in advance...Melissa

Yes there are lots of engineered septic systems that can handle that type of project. Best thing to do is reach out to the city about septic systems as well a civil engineering firm in the area to find out options.

@Greg Dickerson Thank you! I was able to speak with a retired sewer expert yesterday who suggested a low pressure system. I have a call into an engineering firm right now. I am breathing a bit easier now.