• Investor
  • Brighton, MI
Votes |
Multifamily Acquisition Startegy

Tory Sheffer
  • Investor
  • Brighton, MI
Posted Jun 14 2021, 08:12

Multifamily scenario, looking to see if anyone has had similar deals/experience with this strategy.

Original developer 1965-1990 (phased construction) still owns a great product I’m trying to buy. Market rents are 70% higher than current tenant base. Owner is in his mid-80’s. Not interested in selling at my price due to capital gains. Kids inherit the money or the property. Cost basis becomes market value at inheritance and the kids wouldn’t have to pay capital gains. Only selling advantage is to no longer manage the asset. The kids end up doing all the maintenance, they’re not in the business and don’t have high interest. Planning to sell at inheritance point.

My latest offer was a lease-option. I lease the property with closing set 10-15 years, or on passing of original owners. I take over everything and pay them roughly 80% of annual cash flow. No debt at acquisition, would only require cap ex reserves and operating funds.

The owners kids seem interested in this strategy. Makes sense for me because very low cash out, rent pays master lease, I’m highly confident I can bump as-is rent and increase annual cash flow with low cost. (I own 2 similar properties nearby and achieving 2x rent comparable)

I would plan to own this asset forever. I love the location. So 10-15 years before closing is fine with me. Also this gives me great runway to own this 100% without investors and I have ability to close the purchase on my own when closing inevitably happens.

Looking to hear thoughts and feedback on this strategy and if anyone here has done something similar. Thanks!

Loading replies...