Married couple house-hacking multi-family: Do you have advice?

Married couple house-hacking multi-family: Do you have advice?

Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 8 votes

My fiancé and I are interested in house hacking a multi-family property in Arizona.

1. Would it possible to convert a single family large home into a duplex, triplex, or fourplex? How practical is this approach? 

2. Are there areas or zones that legally do not allow multi-family properties? 

3. Do you have strategies/advice you'd give to a young married couple looking to house hack their first investment property?

Thanks for your responses. We are so excited to use REI to achieve financial freedom!

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
5y

@Zack Francis

If you're having trouble finding a duplex, you can also look for a SFH with an in-law suite or ADU. A property that already has a separate kitchen and separate entrance would be much easier to tackle than going through the process of a conversion.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Surprise, AZ · Member since 2020 · 405 posts · 179 votes
    5y

    @Zack Francis

    You will want to look into zoning in your counties to see what they do and don’t allow. In my opinion it is better to find a good deal that is already a multifamily rather than attempting to convert one unless it makes sense and you can add a lot of value by doing so.

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Zack Francis I agree with the previous post. With the cost of materials right now I think you’d be better off with an existing multi than a conversion.

    I was looking at a building with an existing apartment and essentially a large room with two bathrooms to convert into a 2 bedroom unit and a 1 bedroom unit and my contractor told me $120,000 for the renovations due to the cost of materials.

    He believed I’d be all-in for $240,000 and rents would be $3000 per month with a cash flow of about $800. So close to a triple.

    I decided not to do it because I’ve gotten focused on something else for now.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    @Zack Francis

    If you're having trouble finding a duplex, you can also look for a SFH with an in-law suite or ADU. A property that already has a separate kitchen and separate entrance would be much easier to tackle than going through the process of a conversion.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 254 posts · 100 votes
    5y

    @Zack Francis

    I have multiple clients have have done exactly what you are looking to do. I will shoot you a private message!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.