• Asheville, NC
Votes |
Student Housing - Noise Complaints

Matthew Orton
  • Commercial Real Estate Broker
  • Asheville, NC
Posted Jul 21 2021, 16:16

Hello,

We recently purchased a 35,000 sqft student housing complex right across the street from a Big Ten university. The property is professionally managed and the management company is well respected and diligent. 

I remember the college years, living in dorms, etc and I understand that college students aren't always very self-aware. Like most all property management companies, the property managers have employees on call 24/7 to handle emergencies etc. It seems that with the new batch of students coming in, there have been numerous noise complaints, which are billed to me at $55 (one man-hour) per incident. Last month the noise complaints were $400+ and it has been a couple of hundred bucks a month since the beginning. 

How do other student housing owners (with managers) handle this?  Does this just go with the territory or is there something else that can be done? My first thought was to implement a fine, but for that, you'd need to catch the culprit in the act. Evicting a student in Michigan is expensive and time-consuming. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Loading replies...