Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
John Gilbert
Votes |
How much influence do we have on the total housing market?

John Gilbert
Posted Nov 5 2021, 17:51

So I have heard a lot of hot takes on how a flood of "retail investors" are completely reshaping the behavior of the stock market. The communities that made 100X gains in GME, AMC and crypto are using their profits to change market psychology.

I have found most of these takes elitist and dismissive, but I recently read an article, The Rise of The California Back House House Hacker claiming that our community at BiggerPockets and the subsequent reddit forums are having a similar impact on the real estate market. 

More specifically with the frenzied bidding wars. It speculated that many cash offers are coming from individual investors with 2-10 properties under their belt. 

So I figured I would get it straight from the horses mouth and ask you all directly. Do you think that is true? I know from my own experience that many in my social network have done really well from crowd sourcing real estate and stock market investing tricks. I have a friend that is taking the money he made from Game Stop and investing it in a duplex.  

I am personally working on saving enough for my first down payment in hopes of building my own portfolio of investment properties, so i'm no where near the point where I could make a cash offer. 

But if we do represent a large majority of purchasing behavior, how long do you think that influence will last? And are there any long term investing insights to take from that?

Loading replies...