Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Land & New Construction
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Shane Ryan
  • Contractor
  • Sweetwater, Tn
Votes |
Contractor looking for investor

Shane Ryan
  • Contractor
  • Sweetwater, Tn
Posted Dec 8 2021, 18:49

Hello all. Looking for tips and/or advice.  I'm not an investor as of now but looking to be in the future. Had a friend become a pretty successful investor (which is how I heard about this site.) years ago but I never really got the bug like he did. 

So here's my problem. (if you want to call it that). I run an excavating/landclearing business here in East Tennessee. I do everything from the road to the concrete slab (minus drilling wells). Clearing the land, leveling the pad for a house,  hauling the rock and building the driveway, trenching for water and power, septic systems,  footers and concrete slabs. Pretty much everything that would need done for someone to come in and build. 

I was kicking ideas around with my wife the other night and thought about the little time I've spent on biggerpockets, listening to my investor buddy and dabbling in the idea of investing myself. With my skillset. My ability to get virgin land ready for a buyer. How would I go about partnering up with investors or land owners. My thoughts are, what I do is a fairly expensive part of developing property. If I could come in with my services at no up front cost to an investor or landowner it would help their side tremendously.  They wouldn't have to put out anymore money than necessary. Keeping their finances from being tied up for long periods of time. In return I'd get paid for the work I performed and a percentage of the profit when the property sold. I THINK. This idea is just an idea at the moment. I haven't really played all the details out. Just wanted to jump on here and see if any of you guys have done a deal like this. If you haven't, is this something that could be of interest to you or am I just spinning my wheels on an idea that appeals to nobody. 

Little more detail of my area. With what I do. In the 10 years I've been doing it. I now know these mountain as good or better than people that have lived and grown up here over the last 60 years. I run about 10 driveways a day covering about 400 Sq miles. I've seen property that sold for 40k 2 years ago jump up 200k in the last year. I've cleared and worked land that looked like garbage from the road that was purchased for a few thousand an acre turn into 10k an acre.(as investors, most of yall know. PEOPLE HAVE NO VISION. If they can't see it, they don't think it's exist). 

We have an Amazon type facility coming to our area. Should be done next year. The housing market here is sparse. Rentals are almost impossible to find. And we are adding 3000 jobs to the area so I can only image the property values will continue to climb as the demand will continue to weigh against the supply. 

Feel free to give your thoughts. Good or bad. If I haven't painted a picture you can understand, ask the questions I left open and I'll do my best to answer them. Thank you guys in advance.

Loading replies...