• Bend Oregon
Votes |
Upgrading new construction

Grace Marie Weger
  • Developer
  • Bend Oregon
Posted May 3 2022, 08:36

Hello all,

I bought my first investment property last year, its a 3 bd 2 1/2bth new construction that I owner occupy with 2 roommates who cover the mortgage. I am now looking at buying another property, and don't want to wait as interest rates are projected to rise even more and not start to lower until 2024. My only barrier is my debt to income ratio looks very high since acquiring my first property. I was advised by a mortgage broker friend that if my house appraises for enough to give me 70% equity in the property, then it will not count against me. 

I bought the house for 317k and need it to appraise for around 430k. The area I live in has exploded (like most the country) and I think will probably appraise for 420k as is... What upgrades are worth investing in to raise the value of this new construction home?

I have started replacing light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, I added nice cabinet pulls, I redid the guest half bath with wainscoting, replaced the master closet door with a custom barn door, installed wooden sills on windows

I am considering adding a built in closet system in the master ( right now it is cheap wire shelves with a metal dowel and thats it), I'd like to replace the vanity top in the master bath (currently its just a laminate, would like to do solid material), I would like to replace bathrooms and laundry room flooring with LVP (currently linoleum), and I've been considering adding a tile backsplash in the master. 

I can do all these renovations myself so the only cost is materials, but I don't have time to do them all. What do you think will give me the best bang for my buck?

Loading replies...