Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 112 votes
I am in planning phase for a cottage style small resorts in California. Planning to use OSB SIP building for small units of size 900 sq: ft, primarily for fast build and energy efficiency. Sourcing directly from China is cheaper, though more complex. But effort is worth it as once the first unit is done it will be a copy-paste. This will be like a normal site built home on foundation (not modular) going through regular inspections and permits, but using SIPs instead of sticks.
1. Any experience/thought on buying directly from China, (The panes seems compliant with IRC, etc and probably can make sure that they are complient with Californa Residential Code etc also)?
2. OSB vs Other type of SIP panels (fiber/steel), pros and cos?
Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 188 votes
2y
I'm sure you didn't make a post to debate the pros/cons of SIP panels, but there is a reason that SIPs/ICF construction is less than 1% of starts in the US. The reason is that the energy savings aren't worth the additional costs. Especially the additional costs by electrical, HVAC and plumbing. Most of the trades aren't used to working with SIPs and will charge additional.
The sales people for both SIPs and ICFs will tout the labor savings, but they simply don't exists. Otherwise, builders who build 100s or 1000s of homes per year (and work really hard to save $100 on any one trade) would start building with them.
I'm sure many similar arguments can be made for any revulutionary product (electric cars) but SIPs and ICFs have been around for decades without gaining any traction.
Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 188 votes
2y
I'm sure you didn't make a post to debate the pros/cons of SIP panels, but there is a reason that SIPs/ICF construction is less than 1% of starts in the US. The reason is that the energy savings aren't worth the additional costs. Especially the additional costs by electrical, HVAC and plumbing. Most of the trades aren't used to working with SIPs and will charge additional.
The sales people for both SIPs and ICFs will tout the labor savings, but they simply don't exists. Otherwise, builders who build 100s or 1000s of homes per year (and work really hard to save $100 on any one trade) would start building with them.
I'm sure many similar arguments can be made for any revulutionary product (electric cars) but SIPs and ICFs have been around for decades without gaining any traction.
@Raju Balakrishnan did you get the panels from China? I am also considering this type of construction, but I am looking at SCIP specifically. I have lots of experience with this type of construction, as it is very common where I come from, Guatemala.
I'm sure you didn't make a post to debate the pros/cons of SIP panels, but there is a reason that SIPs/ICF construction is less than 1% of starts in the US. The reason is that the energy savings aren't worth the additional costs. Especially the additional costs by electrical, HVAC and plumbing. Most of the trades aren't used to working with SIPs and will charge additional.
The sales people for both SIPs and ICFs will tout the labor savings, but they simply don't exists. Otherwise, builders who build 100s or 1000s of homes per year (and work really hard to save $100 on any one trade) would start building with them.
I'm sure many similar arguments can be made for any revulutionary product (electric cars) but SIPs and ICFs have been around for decades without gaining any traction.
Mike what you are saying is something I had not considered. By any chance have you seen any construction with SIP and how much more expensive was it?
@Raju Balakrishnan did you get the panels from China? I am also considering this type of construction, but I am looking at SCIP specifically. I have lots of experience with this type of construction, as it is very common where I come from, Guatemala.
I did not get to do this project. Overall it looked feasible in my analysis. But county permit may be the tricky part, though panels can be made confirming to the all the CA state regulations. Good to talk to the county in advance.
I am in planning phase for a cottage style small resorts in California. Planning to use OSB SIP building for small units of size 900 sq: ft, primarily for fast build and energy efficiency. Sourcing directly from China is cheaper, though more complex. But effort is worth it as once the first unit is done it will be a copy-paste. This will be like a normal site built home on foundation (not modular) going through regular inspections and permits, but using SIPs instead of sticks.
1. Any experience/thought on buying directly from China, (The panes seems compliant with IRC, etc and probably can make sure that they are complient with Californa Residential Code etc also)?
2. OSB vs Other type of SIP panels (fiber/steel), pros and cos?
Import taxes are much higher than you would imagine. best to support the American economy and buy local.
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
2y
Buying anything direct like this from china is a bad idea h less you have flown over their, inspected the plant and qc process and they have a us office where if you know what hits the fan you have someone to deal with