subdividing farmland into acreages books/information?

6 Replies

Hey I'm looking into the process of buying farmland and subdividing into acreages w/ services. I can't seem to find much info on how to go about this, can anyone point me in the direction of a book/website/anything to get me started???

thx!

ps. Oh also I'm in Canada so anything Canadian related would be helpful too!

Civil engineering firm in your area

The relevant planning authority (city / county / ice hockey region) should be the best first source for understanding the process. My experience is that planning people are perfectly willing to answer a lot of questions and would rather do that with a person before he/she buys a piece of land.

Find the parcel, map it, figure out the right planning authority, then go to their website and rock and roll. The best way is to show up in person having educated yourself beforehand.

Thats a great idea for a starting point, thx guys

Sol - This is going to sound weird, but did you ever play the WSOP Main Event back in the 2005-2008 time-frame?

Based on your profile picture, your name and the fact that you're from Canada (I've only met one Canadian poker player named Sol), I think we sat next to each other and chatted for several hours during one of those events... (if not, I now know of two Canadian poker players named Sol :)

That's it...sorry to hijack the tread!

Originally posted by @Sol Bergren :
Hey I'm looking into the process of buying farmland and subdividing into acreages w/ services. I can't seem to find much info on how to go about this, can anyone point me in the direction of a book/website/anything to get me started???

thx!

ps. Oh also I'm in Canada so anything Canadian related would be helpful too!

Sol,

Is the land within Saskatoon limits? If so, first stop is City planning.

If not you will first need to contact the rural municipality encompassing the sections, township and range of the parcel to determine (or lobby) if the land is zoned (or can be zoned {$$$}) for development.

@J Scott haha yup pretty good chance that was me :), my memory doesn't appear to be as good as yours though, can't remember what we talked about!

@Roy N. Ya, the land I'm looking at is outside the city limits, so I guess I'll have to start with the RM that it falls in, I'm starting to quickly realize the magnitude of a project like this!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.