Cost to Build in Phoenix Area

Cost to Build in Phoenix Area

Contractor · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 399 posts · 166 votes

Hello Phoenix Area BPers!!! Just spent a few days in your lovely town. Was looking for sf numbers on cost to build in phoenix.  3000 sf with 3 baths.  Please let me know if you are including the cost of GCs or if you are managing the subs on your own. Not looking for cost of land, simply cost of construction for a high level estimate.  I realize there are a ton of variables, but just trying to get a general feel for costs of new construction in the Phoenix area. Thanks! 

0Reply
88 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 23 votes
11y

GC here, for your regular builder grade home and finishings, with no big upgrades or any special builds, you're looking at probably around $100/sq ft. This won't include the cost of land, or any major electrical upgrades from the city, and won't include the cost of an architect. If you're looking for something a little nicer you're probably looking at more of the $125-$150 per sq foot range.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 56 votes
    11y

    Forte Homes and VIP Homes advertise the following (again not including land, landscaping and upgrades).

    Forte Homes- 3084 sq. ft. 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 3 car garage $419,000 = $135 sqft

    VIP Homes - 2947 - Bdrms: 4, Bath: 2.5, Garages: 2 $290,000= $98.40 sqft

    Completed I would estimate $125-$150 plus the cost of land.

  • Contractor · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 399 posts · 166 votes
    11y

    Thanks Michael... I appreciate it!

    Any other Phoenix or Arizona BP'ers have any insight. 

  • Gene HackerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Lake Isabella, CA · Member since 2011 · 969 posts · 488 votes
    11y

    $98/ft is pretty good, I am wondering exactly what they include in that price. 

    Permits, hookups, school fee's here in California can add up to huge numbers.  

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    GC here, for your regular builder grade home and finishings, with no big upgrades or any special builds, you're looking at probably around $100/sq ft. This won't include the cost of land, or any major electrical upgrades from the city, and won't include the cost of an architect. If you're looking for something a little nicer you're probably looking at more of the $125-$150 per sq foot range.

  • Rental Property Investor · Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    I have a similar question on the cost of building basic spec home, about 2000sqft in the Phoenix area.  I plan to be the General.  The plan is to build and put up for sale.  Any feedback from individuals that have completed a recent build and willing to share some numbers would be great.  

  • Residential Agent And Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2013 · 212 posts · 83 votes
    9y
    Aaron R. Can probably add some insight here.
  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2012 · 108 posts · 49 votes
    9y

    I'm building a little over 2000 sq ft for around $80/ft. Now I'm not done yet but that is where I expect to be. We're installing flooring and cabinets now, so we are close to finishing. This includes all permits and architect fees as well as demo of an existing 1000 sq ft house. We saved some money by keeping some of the existing slab from the old house as well.

  • San Bruno, CA · Member since 2008 · 77 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    I thought I would rekindle this thread rather than post a similar post requesting the same information since we are now in 2019.  I have a multifamily zoned R3 in N Phoenix and wanted to get thoughts from the BP community on roughly the cost/sq ft  to a build a 4-5 plex on .33 acre lot.  There is also the consideration of splitting the lot and building 2 single family residences.  I am not sure that is the highest and best use but thought I would throw it out there.  Thanks in advance,  Ray

  • Lender · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 108 posts · 41 votes
    7y

    @Emilio Ramirez 110-130 a foot depending on finishes and location.

  • Realtor / Attorney · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 388 posts · 265 votes
    7y

    Re: highest and best use ... small MF (2-5 doors) are hard to come by in Phoenix right now. They tend to command a premium - especially if they are in a decent area and have decent finishes. Of course you'd need to run the numbers to see what a SFR goes for on that particular block, but the small MF numbers might surprise you!

  • Developer · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 27 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ray Trounday:

    I thought I would rekindle this thread rather than post a similar post requesting the same information since we are now in 2019.  I have a multifamily zoned R3 in N Phoenix and wanted to get thoughts from the BP community on roughly the cost/sq ft  to a build a 4-5 plex on .33 acre lot.  There is also the consideration of splitting the lot and building 2 single family residences.  I am not sure that is the highest and best use but thought I would throw it out there.  Thanks in advance,  Ray

    Hi Ray,

    The more units the better. I’ve been developing multifamily in Phoenix for years and am the licensed GC and the developer.

    I’m building with nearly all licensed subs and building my current 4 plex at about $60k per door just for vertical construction, so about $80 per sq ft. However you add in architects, grading and drainage and landscape architects (required for 3 or more units per lot), permits, contingencies and land I’m right at $125 per sq ft.

    However if you’ve never developed before, you’re going to go over your budget as the first one is a major learning curve. Unless you’re a licensed commercial GC you can’t even pull the permits in your name on a 4 plex in Phoenix. Getting a licensed commercial GC will probably run you at about $115 per sq ft just for vertical. On your sized lot expect about $15k for architecture, $15k total for g and d/landscape architect, and about $15k total for pulling permits on 4 units. Make sure you got water and sewer accessible to your lot by checking down at the city, because that will make your lot worthless if you need a sewer main extension. Check for flood planes and flood ways on your lot. Make sure to find a lender who knows new construction and include the soft costs into the loan.


    Hope this helps!
     

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.