Questions about subdividing a lot

5 Replies

I have never subdivided a lot before. There is an oversized lot near me that could possibly be subdivided. What are some things I should keep in mind when subdividing?

The property is located in a city and is surrounded by houses, so there are utilities in the area already. 

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)

First call is to the local building and zoning dept., to see what's required, minimum lot size, set backs, procedures, etc..

As a planning consultant by profession, Wayne is right on in advice - minimum lot size, density, zoning, buffers.   Download the local zoning code and read it - full of engaging material. :)

I know most jurisdiction here in Washington State have what is called a pre-application meeting for those wanting to understand what is required.  That may be too much effort, but if you are serious about the lot it may be worth it.

@Paul Weller ,

Are you familiar with Cowlitz and/or Clark County?  

I investigated splitting a lot with two independent homes on it.  I did what you suggested and started the pre-application process.  Once I realized it was going to cost up to $20k and may or may not be approved, I moved on.  If I had a consultant who has experience working with the local planning department, I would have moved forward.

I actually used to work as a planning consultant down in Vancouver about 10 years ago, but have lost most of my connections down there.  Send me an email [email protected] with more info and I will take a look at it.