House I want is on 5 acres, can I subdivide?

House I want is on 5 acres, can I subdivide?

Professional · Central FL, FL · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 8 votes

So a house I like is pretty nice but not great. It's priced at 265k.  It's in Central FL in a growing area but yet still somewhat rural (for now anyway).   So even tho the house is just ok, we are intrigued by the 5 acres it sits on.  Not sure why but the house with the land is 265k, but in closer in areas to two , acres can be as high as 180k per acre.  So this seems like a decent deal.

Is subdividing the lot into 1 acre or 1/2 acre lots doable?  How can I know if I could sell the, and if they are desirable?  Why hasn't anyone else thought of this, as the property/house has been for sale for over 60 days?

I work in the business, but on the production side.  I have no idea about land or acquisitions.  Should I ask someone at work that works in the land dept as a first step?  Any help would be appreciated.

0Reply
23 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 256 votes
    10y

    Yes, check with the (land) jurisdictional zoning folks to ask that question.  It's not simply the acreage of a parcel, what can be done with it is affected by many things... road frontage, environmental factors, easements, etc.

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 515 votes
    10y

    @Jared S.need to find your department of land management, or planning and zoning, ect. They will tell you if a you can subdivide, and how big they must be. Also check to see what size lot if needed for septic. 

  • Professional · Central FL, FL · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    thx gents!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.